power amp for small studio

thnmnt

i'm looking for a power amp for a small computer based studio (gina etc.) i don't have monitors yet but i'm leaning toward the alesis monitor ones or the event 20/20's anyway i've been checking out the samson servo series (120,150) which seem pretty reasonably priced. anyone have any experience with these or any other decent power amps?

thnmnt

Yo Thnmnt: [reminds me of LSMFT] If you remember that acronym, your as old as I am!

Your power amp is a very important part of your studio; thus, you want one that does not HUMMMMMM or BZZZZZZ and will give you enough POWER.

Alesis 1 speakers: I have a pair but don't think much of them; I also have a pair of Infinity speakers and my hi-fi pal Jorge calls them "budget speakers." You really have to hear speakers and see some studio set-ups or keep asking on this site and, Voila, you will get information. Also, check Dragon's stuff elsewhere on the site for information.

I use an integrated amplifier by Yamaha in my studio because I have two tape decks, a CD player and my amp will let me record the tape decks either way by pushing a button.

The amp also provides inputs for two sets of speakers which I have; There is also a "pure through" switch and I input my digital recorder to mix down. There is also an AUX in/out to use if needed. So, if an integrated amp fits your needs, try it. I also can play my synth right through my stereo system.

Choose wisely and keep twiddling the dials,

Green Hornet

Not familiar with the Samson amps.

Check out the SoundTech PL200. I bought one of these a while ago and it's great. Very quiet and heavy duty. 100W per side at 4 Ohms.

Another amp I have used in the past is the AB international. Also good amps in the same price range. $450 - $700 Canadian Dollars.

thanks emeric/green hornet - i checked out the soundtech - it looks good except for it's just too much power for what i need. the samson servo 120 is 65watts/ch 4ohm which is plenty. i didn't see a lower wattage soundtech at zzounds but i'll look around.

[This message has been edited by thnmnt (edited 01-26-2000).]

Don't worry about getting a amp with more power than what your speakers are listed at. I have a Hafler P-3000 which outputs 350 per side, which I use to power my Event 20/20 which are only rated at like 150 or something. You are going to want extra power.

The only amp I can recommend as a "at least this" type is the Hafler. Anything that is less is simply that. You will suffer in accuracy.

Ed

Back