Post your latest purchase!

Hey Ramilami, what are you using to mic your guitar combo in that last pic??

hehe...Good eye. It's an SE electronics se2200a. I've A/B'd it with a 57 and about 5 other mics and it gave me the most balls and definition. Never thought I'd use a condenser as my main guitar cab mic, but I love this thing for so many things, especially vocals. I still stick a 57 when I record guitar, because I always doubt myself about the SE being better, But I always end up using the SE track and scrapping the 57 track. It's not A LOT better than the 57. But it's just that little bit better that I can hear a difference.

Cool. it's hard for me to do an A/B with my Epi until I get it switched to a lefty. I did plug it in, though, and the humbuckers are obviously less noisy than the P-90's. I'll know more about it in a few days when I get it back after the sex change.

Well yeah, P-90s are noisy as shit and humbuckers buck the hum! :)

Well yeah, P-90s are noisy as shit and humbuckers buck the hum! :)

And that raises an interesting point for me. Not being a real guitar player, this is where it shows. You see, I know when I'd want to use my Strat as opposed to a Gibson and vice versa. The difference in sound is pretty apparent. But, now I'm asking myself...when do I use the SG with the humbuckers and when do I use the P-90's? Is the difference just the noise? A true guitar player would probably be able to say "This tune needs those humbuckers", or "man, the P-90's are perfect for what I want in this tune". For a guy like me, it's like "OK, they sound a little different, I guess. But how do I know which one to use for this particular song?".

I'm sure the answer is the same answer that answers most questions about music, which is "Use your ears". But, honestly, it's going to be mostly guess work for me.

A good p90 when the volume is rolled down can sound as clean and sparkly as a tele or strat. When the volume is full bore it will growl.

Listen to any early Leslie West, particularly live stuff.

Humbuckers can do the same, but not as well unless it is a real paf or a low wind paf reproduction.

Hey, now you have both, more options.

:-)

What are you talking about? You have unlimited tracks. I have 16 period.
You should be used to options by now. What's another guitar.

:-)

And that raises an interesting point for me. Not being a real guitar player, this is where it shows. You see, I know when I'd want to use my Strat as opposed to a Gibson and vice versa. The difference in sound is pretty apparent. But, now I'm asking myself...when do I use the SG with the humbuckers and when do I use the P-90's? Is the difference just the noise? A true guitar player would probably be able to say "This tune needs those humbuckers", or "man, the P-90's are perfect for what I want in this tune". For a guy like me, it's like "OK, they sound a little different, I guess. But how do I know which one to use for this particular song?".

I'm sure the answer is the same answer that answers most questions about music, which is "Use your ears". But, honestly, it's going to be mostly guess work for me.

A P-90 is single coil sound with balls. Lots of bark and bite, but not necessarily thick like a humbucker. Like homeboy said, roll it back to get sparkly clean. A humbucker will sound fatter, bigger, have more output, drive the input stage of an amp harder, and can roll back to clean depending on the humbucker and pots, but it's still a fatter kind of clean most of the time. A P-90 and a mild humbucker don't sound that different, besides the noise of a P-90. The P-90 will be more articulate, the humbucker will sound thicker. You can throw the Strat away now. :D

Since your Strat isn't really a traditional Strat (it has a humbucker in the bridge position), your P-90 SG can cover your single coil needs, along with the Strat's middle and neck position. But a P-90 sounds better IMO than any pickup on any Strat.

You got the best of both worlds with your two SGs. P-90s and medium output humbuckers. Hard to beat that to me. Medium output HBs are very versatile, and since you don't use searing dork metal levels of gain, those humbuckers should be just about right. Think Angus! :D

Greg approves! :D

Great stuff. I actually learned a few things...from both you guys.

Yeah, I figured I'll never need my Strat for heavier stuff any more. But I want to keep it for the rare time I might want to get that standard clean, neck pick-up, Strat sound. Even if I can get it with one of the SG's, I'd keep the Strat simply because I've had it for so long and only paid $40 for it when I got it. Plus, look at the picture I posted. 4 Guitars in front of my 2 drum kits looks awesome! :D

Didnt see pics of yours, but a jr. IS one pickup and a volume and tone.
You mentioned 24 frets. That right there is not the norm. So you got something a bit different.

The SGJ is not an SG Jr, like RFR said a Jr has one pickup, etc. It's kind of a simplified SG special - kind of like the SG special faded guitars that they either used to make a few years back or still do...not sure if they still do though. I think the fretboard is richlite (compressed paper, more or less) instead of ebony/rosewood and there are a few other components that are skimped on as well. My SGJ has a fatter neck on it than any other SG I've ever played, that may be another difference as well.

Well, Gibson's calling it a SGJ for some reason.

It's got a mahogany body, rosewood fingerboard, and a maple neck.

All the details are in the description in the link above.

Yeah, some variant of the Special, not Jr. The SG Special is one of the best guitar values ever. I have a late 90s in black that is a terrific guitar, prefer it by a large margin to my Les Paul. Especially since I pulled those dark, nasally 490r and 490t pickups and put some Duncan Seth Lovers into it. It also has a beefy neck, best kind. You can find them on the used market for $500-600.

Hmmm, it is a rosewood fretboard. I've seen richlite mentioned on some of Gibson's newer models, guess this one slipped the downgrade. Maple neck, too, instead of traditional mahogany. Either way, the SGJ's are pretty nice for the money.

Back