Porting cakewalk projects over to an open source platfom

auburncatfish

Hot Dog! it's been awhile since I needed some help on this type of thing. Here's my dilema/question.

I'm finally updating my recording hardware and software, and getting rid of my dinosaur tower in favor of a laptop setup. I'm probably going to install Ubuntu and Ardour on the software side of things. However, all my previous projects were done using an earlier version of Cakewalk Sonar 2.0. I'm wondering if there is any ability to port Cakewalk files over into Ardour or any other open source software program. If not, I may stick with Cakewalk. I'd hate to lose the ability to edit all these older files.

Anyone been through something like this?

Export all your tracks to wav files. Save them onto an external hard drive or large capacity flash drive. Drag the files into Rosegarden. RG's capabilities are supposed to be on par with some moderate Windows- and Mac-based DAW's. Don't ask me what they're comparable to; I have no idea. Good Luck.

Hot Dog! it's been awhile since I needed some help on this type of thing. Here's my dilema/question.

I'm finally updating my recording hardware and software, and getting rid of my dinosaur tower in favor of a laptop setup. I'm probably going to install Ubuntu and Ardour on the software side of things. However, all my previous projects were done using an earlier version of Cakewalk Sonar 2.0. I'm wondering if there is any ability to port Cakewalk files over into Ardour or any other open source software program. If not, I may stick with Cakewalk. I'd hate to lose the ability to edit all these older files.

Anyone been through something like this?

See if Cakewalk can export OMF or AAF. If so, that might make things easier for you. AFAIK, there are ways to get AAF into Ardour, and there are translators from AAF to OMF.

I guess another option is to maintain my old copy of Cakewalk (if it works) on Vista. Dual boot with Ubuntu, and use Cakewalk on windows when neccessary. More of a stopgap until I figure it out better.

Back