Portastudio Mf-p01 monitoring issue

stealthbanana

I'm doing my first project on 4 track cassette after years of modern recording, and it is very enjoyable. Unfortunately, my 4 track is very bare bones, but I am determined to make it work without dumping an excessive amount of money into it.

This is the problem: The unit has no way to adjust the volume of the incoming signal during recording. So what happens is, the hotter you record, the more the incoming track takes over in the monitor mix, to the point where it is difficult or impossible to preform since previously recorded tracks are being drowned out. Any solution, no matter how out there or roundabout would be fantastic! Thank you!

What is it that you want to record tghat's taking over the mix ? Is it being recorded with a mic or is it a line source {eg, synth, bass via DI etc} ?

I don't have an MF-P01, so I'm going by it's manual.

Do you have the user manual? (that was not meant to be offensive). The MF has the ability to do what you want, instructions are in the manual. The procedure may appear foreign if you're used to more advanced Portas as the minimal number of controls must be adapted to.

Specifically the vocalist is having trouble, but all instruments after the drums are somewhat problematic. Any track that gets recorded hot enough takes over the monitor mix so performing becomes very difficult.

I do have the manual, it's a very legit question I would think. What page did you find that part on? I looked it over and didnt see it. I did see part about setting levels with the Master Volume, but the issue there is that EVERYTHING gets louder equally, so when the incoming track is already almost too loud it doesn't really adjust the balance.

I find it hard to believe that any multitrack recording device made since 1947 would have this as an issue. It's not even counter-intuitive ~ it doesn't make logical {or even illogical} sense.

General consensus is that this is the prime example of bare bones. But I got a deal on it since it's all I could really afford. Everyone needs a 4 track tape recorder, even the very tall (golden age simpsons reference). Like I said, i do have the manual, but maybe I'm missing the obvious here. This is baby's first 4 track, so maybe I'm the problem here.

That's the link for the manual if anyone would like to take a look.

It seems to be a simple matter of turning up the levels on the tracks that have already been recorded. Did this not work?

Back