Portastudio 424 - Squeaking Sound

maxoakland

Is sticky tape a problem for cassette portastudios too? I have a 424. I haven’t been able to find any information that describes the problem I’m having:

At certain points in the tape, I get a squeaking sound in the tape and a very warbly output into the computer on some of the tapes I’m trying to copy to my computer. It doesn’t happen for all tapes and it’s pretty consistent where the problem starts. If I fast forward past that point, it seems to be OK

My first thought was it might be possible that the tapes got rusty or something and I should move the tape part to a different cassette

Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!

Is sticky tape a problem for cassette portastudios too? I have a 424. I haven’t been able to find any information that describes the problem I’m having:

At certain points in the tape, I get a squeaking sound in the tape and a very warbly output into the computer on some of the tapes I’m trying to copy to my computer. It doesn’t happen for all tapes and it’s pretty consistent where the problem starts. If I fast forward past that point, it seems to be OK

My first thought was it might be possible that the tapes got rusty or something and I should move the tape part to a different cassette

Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!
Max, I had a 424 years ago but I never had that problem. That said, my Sony boom box experienced the same issue before it totally failed. In my case I know that the motor just got tired and wouldn't play right. First the FF stopped working then the play got warbly and was squeaking then.... nothing. I hope this is not the case for you but that is all I can offer.

Max, I had a 424 years ago but I never had that problem. That said, my Sony boom box experienced the same issue before it totally failed. In my case I know that the motor just got tired and wouldn't play right. First the FF stopped working then the play got warbly and was squeaking then.... nothing. I hope this is not the case for you but that is all I can offer.
Thanks Mark. Do you know if it’s possible to replace the motor?

What happens when you use a different tape? It sounds like there might be problems in the cassette's case. If you put the tape reels in a different cassette housing, will that cure your problem? I've had the lubrication wear away in old cassettes, and transferring the tape to a different (new) housing cured the problem.

What happens when you use a different tape? It sounds like there might be problems in the cassette's case. If you put the tape reels in a different cassette housing, will that cure your problem? I've had the lubrication wear away in old cassettes, and transferring the tape to a different (new) housing cured the problem.
I was wondering if that might be the issue. I’ve tried different tapes and some have this problem and others don't
I’m gonna try putting the tape reels into a different cassette and see

Back