Poll - Which is more enjoyable to your ears?

Which type of musical instrument do you prefer?

• Total voters
While I love playing with synths and doing the cool sci-fi sounds, it's really no contest. I prefer acoustic vibrations without amplification to those utilizing pickups and microchips.

And oh how rewarding it is to sit down at a Steinway and hear all those harmonic overtones from neighboring strings and the big sound from the wood board. My Kurzweil dreams of ever sounding that good.

Electric guitars > faggy acoustic guitars
Acoustic drums > electronic drums
Electric bass > stand-up bass
Piano > organs/keyboards/synths
Real orchestral instruments > MIDI
Vagina > fleshlight

I have no preference. I love acoustic guitars, pianos, drums, violins, cellos, double basses, sitars, tablas, congas, saxophones, flutes, harmonicas, tympani and so on and so forth. I also love electric guitars, basses, pianos, organs, synths, melltrons, mandolins, violins.........There are electric instruments where I dislike their acoustic counterpart and vice versa. I'm a mixer and matcher.

When I was 10, my Dad took me to Nigeria for a holiday. My Uncle Henry who was a doctor and a notorious drug addict bought me one of those. I always knew it as a thumb piano.

Nigeria for holiday? No kidding? We would love to go to Africa. The wife and I talk about it often.

Nigeria for holiday? No kidding? We would love to go to Africa. The wife and I talk about it often.
Well, that's where my parents were from. I went when I was 10, 13 and 14 and especially the first two times, it was wonderful. Then I got conned into living there without being told and I was stranded for 4 years. And I hated it. But it was one of those significant turning points in life where you either fold and crumple or become strong. In my head at least, I went the latter route. In the end, I just upped and 'left'. My cousin used to call me "the man of no state" !

I'm voting with Gerg except for the first one, seeing I play acoustics mainly these days...

But I can see why people prefer electrics, knowing how lame-o most guitarists are at acoustics.

And, not having tried a fleshlight, I'm willing to go for vagine...

I'm voting with Gerg except for the first one, seeing I play acoustics mainly these days...

But I can see why people prefer electrics, knowing how lame-o most guitarists are at acoustics.

And, not having tried a fleshlight, I'm willing to go for vagine...

What an astute observation. The last two acoustic guitarists I was subjected to (in the past month) at a couple different coffee houses, were extreme lame-o.

I love the sound of a nice acoustic piece, and admire the skill that is required to do so, but I'm a huge fan of that warm electric guitar sound so I'm going to go with that!

synths are better than everything, though guitars are good too

i like both styles of drums

and vaginas are better than cocks

Acoustic piano in a good acoustic space is hard to beat for keys. Even with my sampler I usually just load my best Westlake Piano and use that, it's the closest thing I have to a live piano and it's a pretty good version of it. I would love to get a real piano but I don't have the room or the money. I do play acoustic guitar occasionally but give me a Les Paul and a tube amp any day.

It depends on what I'm in the mood for. I wouldn't categorically pick one over the other. An old pre-war Martin in the right hands can be total ear candy..and my aunt playing Chopin on her baby grand? Beautiful! Same goes for Grant Green's tone.....Larry Carlton's, too. I was lucky enough to hear Joe Pass play once and it was awe inspiring. One year later a virtually unknown harpist played at the local community college and I had to fight back tears.

Back