• DIgiTech RP series

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • BOSS

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Other

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters

Vadim

Which would be the best for around $200-$300 for Guitar Multi-Effects ?

I don't know much about guitar Multi FX, but i'm looking for some good Overdirives for Solo playing, and Leslie-type effects...

There simply is no best...it doesn't exist. No two boxes do exactly the same thing, so they can't be compared in that way. I'll add one to your list that you haven't thought about....Rocktron Utopia.....not an endorsement, just another great possibility!

I remembered that one of my friends had ever said this one is good ,but you should find more info before you decide .

Vadim, I haven't used all you listed, but the Johnson J-Station still works great for me in the studio. It handles cleaner tones particularly well, which is why I prefered it to the others I tried a few years ago, and it's often available on ebay for a decent price.

Best,
J.

I have the cheapy version of the Digitech, the RP150 with only 50 presents, but haven't done too much with it so can't say how overall good it is when one takes the time to mix the various settings (distortion, reverb, echo, chorus, etc) to come up with custom sounds. Truth is I found one preset distortion effect with chorus and echo that I like better than all the others and have used it exclusively for the couple months I have had the pedal. You can hear it on my music page in Dawn Marie.

The pedal is pretty sturdy, and I think that once I get the chance to fiddle with the knobs a little it will be OK for recording. But it has a number of weaknesses that would prevent me from using on stage if I ever lose my mind and start doing that again:

- On my 150 and the 250 effects on/off is done by hitting both of the two buttons together, and it is really hit or miss -- mostly miss in my case. I don't think this is a problem with the 350 because the third button a dedicated on/off, but i would check.

- It requires the adapter -- will not run on batteries.

- The volume difference between clean and distorted effects is very significant. There is a volume setting that you can crank up and down as needed, and the volume setting does not appear to save like the levels on the various effects.

Hope this helps...

I have a J-Station and it does clean sounds very well for sure.

But nowadays the main modeler I'm using is a Rocktron Utopia .... GREAT sounds ..... lousy accessibility to presets during gig use but I've gotten used to it ..... best sounds so far as to a direct into the PA realistic amp sound.

However ..... a friend brought by his Vox Tonelab today and I think it might have about as good a sound as my Rocktron with a great interface ...... more than twice as much money though.

I had the RP and personally didn't like the tones but honestly, never worked with it as in programming.
I got a used POD bean, and it was alright. But its a table top thing, not a floor stompbox like RP300 was.

My son liked the RP300 as his first MULTI-FX pedal, and so it started getting used a bit and then quiet working.
After resetting the software to defaults and more and openning it up checking switches and contactors etc...it just buzzed forever....
I sold it on craigslist for $15.

If you want a floor box to stomp on while playing I wouldn't recommend the RP.
there's my 2cents with inflation calculated in...thats about .003cents

I have a J-Station, and I used it exclusively for a few years when my recording space was the guest bedroom before we moved to where we live now with the finished basement. I like the sounds I've put down with it.

I do have to throw in, however, that I probably wouldn't go back to it for "normal" sounds now that I have room to mic an amp or two. I still use to concoct weird sounds. You can get it to do a synthy backwardsy volume-swell tone which is neat for some applications.

yeah sirnothingness, i get that.

played around, got recording on the pc...then started delving into it all ....to taste all the "pc things"...the plug-ins, DI recording, listening to the amazing pristine tracks and tunes people have done using 100% simulated digital everything...awesome 20-20K recordings, no problem there.

but then after a constant diet of it,

i just wanted a frkn guitar, a cable and an amp again. thats what I been doing.

the pc will be the blank recorder, the white canvas as a painter might say.....

but its back to mics and amps, instruments, and the tones coming from the gear... for now.:cool:

and the fact I'd have to upgrade to use plug-ins and that ain't a possibilty right now.:rolleyes:

I'll give you my experience:

1. POD XT Live. Great high gain sounds and very veritile setup, however complex to program. Didn't like the middle ground (light overdrive) as much. The unit feels sturdy as is quite large and the priciest unit I tried out.

2. Floor POD. No stomp box modeling, just amp modeling so lacks some versitility in application. Non assignable rocker pedal a bummer. Sounds were decent.

3. Korg AX series. Pretty good overdrive sounds. Didn't like the heavy sounds as much though. Effects overall were good, however you are very limited in combining many effects.

4. Digitech RP350. This is the one I went with. The amp modeling across the board is good, however the stompbox and effects modeling is great. The rocker pedal is assignable to any single parameter in addition to becoming a wah when pushed fully down which is great. The whammy sounds as good as the actual pedal which justifies the price of the pedal alone.

EDIT - BTW, I'm a former owner of a J-Station and while it was a good piece of gear when it came out, most of the units today are a vast improvement.

My opinions...

I own the POD XTLive...and the higher ain tones are pretty good, especially if you invest in the Metal Pack ($50). It think it's extremely easy to program, especially utilizing the USB port, you can edit all your patches on your computer and download other users patches and then mess with those, all on the computer...very easy!

I've also been interesting the the VOX line of pedals...they feature a tube in them, and supposedly pull off the classic tube amp sound much better than most, if not all, solid state modeling pedals.

I've been a POD man myself, love my XTLive and use it for all my recording...but check out the VOX Tonelab...pricey, but you might be able to snag a good used one in your budget.

Just curious... anyone auditioned M-Audio's black box? I like my M-Audio products and thought that Linn's influence there might produce something useful. I just don't hear much, pro nor con, about it. Anyone used it?

J.

I've got a RPx400; works well for bass and guitar. I love the Phaser/Flanger/ Chorus effects and it can be used as a looper, with a little programming. But now, I'm using it as computer interface until I can get my Hercules system back together.

I'm not sure which I would choose now but having owned the DigiTech RP350 for 10 months now it won't be another DigiTech.
Their over-hyped X-Edit software is not Vista compatible and for the past six months all they've been telling Vista owners they're "working on it."
There are also fatal error problems which one encounters using older versions of Windows that their tech people were aware of before the units hit the market. They did nothing to correct those problems prior to market, did nothing to alert the consumbers to the problems, and have done nothing to correct the problems since.
I've not been impressed with DigiTech.

I'm not sure which I would choose now but having owned the DigiTech RP350 for 10 months now it won't be another DigiTech.
Their over-hyped X-Edit software is not Vista compatible and for the past six months all they've been telling Vista owners they're "working on it."
There are also fatal error problems which one encounters using older versions of Windows that their tech people were aware of before the units hit the market. They did nothing to correct those problems prior to market, did nothing to alert the consumbers to the problems, and have done nothing to correct the problems since.
I've not been impressed with DigiTech.
True. Their software group's a bunch of hacks and liars.

But plenty of us will never hook a git pedal up to a 'puter so for those people the software doesn't matter. I have a POD, a J-Station, a V-Amp, sveral Digitechs .... a Utopia and getting ready to score a Tonelab. I have not once needed to go to the 'puter to tweak the sounds into what I wanted and though I may do so at some time, right now I actually can't imagine bothering with that..
So for anyone who's just gonna use it as a pedal .... the main thing is gonna be the quality of sound.
For me the biggest single thing is getting a distortion that doesn't sound like bees-in-a-can.

Perhaps my biggest Digitech gripe is the promised, then dropped 24-bit driver for the pedal. But hooking it to a comp makes it easier to change these guitar presets into something useful for bass.

Back