Plugin forum?

I like to see what people are using, get opinions, etc.

I only use plugs that came with Sonar and now Cubase. But last year I bought Sound Forge and I use the Izotope mastering plugs in it. I had been considering buying a 3rd party reverb plug but I recently bought a Yamaha N12 mixer and I really like the built in Rev-X reverb so not really in the market now for a verb plug.

Lots of people really like the UAD plugs.

Personally the Plugins I use the most are Izotopes Trash, and the Ozone mastering plugin. Some of the new plugins that come with sonar7 are pretty handy two. I really have never had a usless plugin. I think the more the merry. They all have a use somewhere.

Can anybody a recommend an LA-2A emulator plug-in they like ?

Preferably something that doesn't cost $500.

Get a UAD-1 card and never look back. These are the crack cocaine of the plugin world.

Check out the free digital fishphones stuff, Blockfish is a good compressor, floorfish is a good gate/expander and spitfish is the best software DeEsser I've tried.

Alot of people recommened those "fish" plug-ins.

The UAD card is PCI right ?

Would the UAD plugins work for REAPER ?

They are VST right ?

Believe it or not - I have a secret plan of saving $125 / week, and waiting 6 months, which would save me $3000, so that I can buy a real Teletronix LA-2A. (I could get one by June, and my wife would never need to know)

However, if the UAD is that good....... I could potentially just buy that and the LA-2A plug-in.

Alot of people recommened those "fish" plug-ins.

The UAD card is PCI right ?

Would the UAD plugins work for REAPER ?

They are VST right ?

Believe it or not - I have a secret plan of saving $125 / week, and waiting 6 months, which would save me $3000, so that I can buy a real Teletronix LA-2A. (I could get one by June, and my wife would never need to know)

However, if the UAD is that good....... I could potentially just buy that and the LA-2A plug-in.

PCI or PCIe it comes in.

I got my first one second hand on ebay with the pultec Pro license included. Good EQ but I mix out of the box and like the EQ on my soundtracs Topaz project 8.

The first plug I added to the card was the LA2A. Never had any experience with the hardware version but it's my first go to compresor/limiter now. I've been DAW orientated for about 8-10 years now and I've heard no other software compressor that can come anywhere close.

I just scored the Plate 140 reverb plug for $61 with the end of year sale & the $50 voucher. Looking forward to getting some use out of that. Seriously...$3000 for one instance of a hardware unit where you could have a couple of UAD cards and ALL of the plugsfor less $$$...no brainer for me.

I can easily run 15 instances of the LA2A on one card (not that I'd ever need to), that's like $45,000 of outboard on one card taking up no rack space for $500. Buy a second used card for another couple of hundred and you're running 30 LA2A's for less that a third of the price of one hardware unit.

I've been using UAD for about 9 months now so this isn't nubie euphoria. I swear by these plugs

Last edited:
WOW.

You might have just saved me $2500 and a whole lot of "beer" sacrifice.

So REAPER should handle this okay right ?

Since they are VST's ?

I hope that card has a good long lasting warranty on it.

If other people are going PCIe, I may be able to scoop a cheap PCI.

Last edited:
Just out of curiousity:

why would you buy a 500 dollar card, yet still stick to a donationware host program?

I'm just a little curious about that. I mean it's your money, and I don't have gobs of experience with reaper, I'm just saying though....

-Joel

Just out of curiousity:

why would you buy a 500 dollar card, yet still stick to a donationware host program?

I'm just a little curious about that. I mean it's your money, and I don't have gobs of experience with reaper, I'm just saying though....

-Joel

I don't know why not.

I'm running Sonar Producer and Cubase and have tried out Reaper and it's very worthy program. If Reaper had been out when I bought Sonar I really doubt I would have bought Sonar. Reaper does everything I want to do but my main package is now Cubase because of integration with my mixer.

jrhager84,

Reaper gets a new update, full of improvements and new features almost every other day..

You should download and take a peek, if you havn't used it in a while.

It's very powerful.

It's also 1000% more stable than pro tools and uses CPU and RAM far more efficiently.

Pro Tools ruined 2 entire recording sessions for me, and scrambled a few songs so bad, they we're pretty much unusable.

With the same computer, same hardware etc..... Reaper has never ever goofed up on me.

My M-Audio Project Mix I/O works way better with Reaper. (And even better than it - with Adobe Audition 3)

I compared the 2 of them for 3 months straight, tracking and mixing in both...... Reaper beat pro tools in every category.
(Well, I can't use RTAS, but whatever)

Also...

Reaper $50

Pro Tools M-Powered $250

The workflow I find is also cleaner and easier in Reaper.

random plugin recommendation #1:

Sonitus Gate (the key function makes it an excellent gate for drums)

Just out of curiousity:

-Joel
Actually Reaper if you want to use it for commercial use is $225. I remember looking at it a couple years ago and didn't install it as it didn't have midi and other key components now looking at it I'm going to give it a try in a couple days. The one thing that would push Reaper a lot further is if they could export to ProTools format.

by the way give some of the Wave (i know some people don't like Wave) plugins a try ie: SSL API, I've tried the SSL bundle and it's like hitting the "Easy button" for vocals!

Fair enough people. Like I said I don't use it as I use Cubase 4 for integration with my MCU and such...but it does sound like a viable program.

Back