Please Help! Newbie here.

Philawallafox

I have a Roland TD... Something (11? I got it way back in 2010 and I think it was being discontinued or was the last of the stock or something even at that point) kit with a TD-4 head unit. I'm trying to record for the first time and it doesn't seem to be working. I've tried connecting to both my Zoom H1 recorder and my PC via line in from the headphone output and each time everything sounded weird. It could be latency (as there is a delay) but it also sounds weird. It sounds nothing like what I hear when I connect my headphones or my computer's speakers to the same jack on the unit. I know next to nothing on this topic.

Would it be better if I were to get a MIDI to USB cable and plug that into my Windows 7 PC? If so, what program(s) should I use? I'm trying to record obviously and I just don't know what I'm doing wrong or what I need to do.

If you need any more details please ask, I'll give them to the best of my ability.

Yes, if you had submitted a more concise question with COMPLETE model numbers you would probably have gotten a quicker answer!

If I am right and that is an electronic drum kit you really need an Audio Interface, yes you could cobble it into the PCs input jack but latency is ever likely to be a problem.

The best (maybe only?) budget AI I would suggest is the Steinberg UR22. Has MIDI so you can record that data (need a "DIN" cable) as well as the audio. The UR22 also comes with Cubase, maybe a steeper learning curve than some software but will deliver low latency with ASIO drivers.

The BEST (arguably for the money, £150) AI is the Native Instruments KA6. Fabulously low latency and Cubase as well.

Once again if you have not got it? Don't faff. Don't cheap out. Get an AI.

Dave.

The Roland TD-4 drum module has two 1/4" output jacks on the rear panel. What you want to do is get a mono 1/4" male to 1/8" male instrument cable and plug the 1/4" end of it into the "L" (left) jack on the TD-4, and the other end of the cable into the "Line in/Mic" input of the H1 recorder.
You do not want to use the headphone jack on the TD-4.
Good to go.

Back