Please help me pick a new interface

MagicMatt

Well it's finally happened... my much loved STAudio DSP24 C-Port needs Windows XP to run, and I am fed up lugging around a full size PC when I can buy a cheap laptop that's got 20x more power and far lighter. I want a new interface. If I'm going to do it, I want to buy something rock solid that will last, and probably outlast the laptop more than once.

I don't care what kind of laptop I use. I've always had Windows, but since the mess that is Windows 10's license agreement, I am considering moving to Linux for my main laptop anyway, or even Mac.

I currently run Windows 7 64bit, 4Gb RAM, 2.6GHz Core2Duo CPU, 512Gb SSD.

My requirements are surprisingly simple, on a budget ideally not more than £500 unless really worth it...

Min 8 analogue inputs (more would be great)
Pre-amps on every channel would be amazing, but I need at least 2.
I need to be able to adjust the input level of each channel.
A level display for each input would be very helpful
Two analogue outputs
USB or Firewire - USB is easier with a laptop, but if FireWire is more stable I can get a FireWire card for the laptop.
I want to record in at least 24bit, 44.1kHz for mixing down to CD - currently I run at 24bit 88.2kHz (this seems better than 96kHz after downsampling).

Units I've identified so far:
Echo AudioFire Pre 8
M-Audio M-Track Eight
Motu 828MK3 (Hybrid)
Roland Octa-Capture UA-1010 USB
Steinberg UR824 USB

I did wonder about replacing it with a Mackie Onyx 1620i, but the lack of on board effects seems to cancel out any extra space saving, because I'd then need an external reverb unit.

Do any of those choices stand out particularly in terms of...
sound quality?
reliability / stability?

Has anyone got one of these that they are pleased with? ...disappointed with?

I use a TASCAM US-1800 and it works great. It has 8 XLR inputs with clean pres that sound good and 2 instrument inputs that can be set to "line" or "guitar". All of the inputs on the front have level controls too, but no level displays. There are also more balanced and unbalanced (switchable) inputs on the back, but they don't have level controls. It technically has 4 analog outs and then 2 for monitors as well. They show up kinda weird in some DAWs though with only "Output 1-4" showing and 1 and 2 are the monitor outs.

You might be able to find one used for pretty cheap (I got mine off of eBay) or there's an updated version as well, the US-16x8.

Just some more info, hope it helps some.

What DAW software are you using? I only ask because the Steinberg UR824 integrates perfectly with Cubase for control of latency free effects while recording tracks. I have two of them. It also allows for adding 16 more tracks via ADAT connections. Great for future expansion.

I also had much experience with the Tascam US-1641 and US-1800. The preamps are pretty damn clean and have 60dB gain, but you are limited to 16 tracks ever. You cannot chain two of them or add ADAT connections. And you may need to add a headphone amp as the output of the Tascam US series is not very loud. Not loud enough for most drummers anyway. That is simple with a cheap Behringer headphone amp.

No stability issues with either. I do remember hearing the Tascam's not working with Protools due to the way it handles buffer sizes....

I was using Sonar 2.0 on Windows XP (not x2 - it's old!)... it wont run on Windows 7 very well (unsurprisingly). I'm now playing with Reaper, although I've not had it long. It seems very responsive even on my fairly old laptop, so I'm inclined to pay the outrageously small license fee! I'm not against investing in some software, but my recording rig will be just that - plonk down and record. I intend to copy the resulting files to a larger PC for mixing etc. since I have a media PC with studio monitors, dual screens, comfy desk..

I've not investigated Linux DAW yet.

More than 8 channels would be great, since I could individually mic the drums then, but I can get what I want with 8, which is essentially demo CDs for getting the band more gigs, and keeping a memento of some of our performances.

I'd love to record the band and make CDs to sell at gigs, but being realistic, I just don't have the skills to get production I'd be happy with, particularly as I'll be playing bass while recording. It's something to aim for.

I can't see me ever going over 16 tracks. We're a three piece, sometimes four piece, and any recording I do at home is generally individual instruments tracked.

I hadn't realised the Tascam US16x08 had 16 simultaneous tracks! I thought it was XLR *OR* TLS inputs... blimey!

Looking at the specs, the newer model looks like it has a more powerful headphone output to me - is this a bit of a no-brainer? It's half the price of some of the others and twice the inputs... normally that would make me nervous of the quality...

I was using Sonar 2.0 on Windows XP (not x2 - it's old!)... it wont run on Windows 7 very well (unsurprisingly). I'm now playing with Reaper, although I've not had it long. It seems very responsive even on my fairly old laptop, so I'm inclined to pay the outrageously small license fee! I'm not against investing in some software, but my recording rig will be just that - plonk down and record. I intend to copy the resulting files to a larger PC for mixing etc. since I have a media PC with studio monitors, dual screens, comfy desk..

I've not investigated Linux DAW yet.

More than 8 channels would be great, since I could individually mic the drums then, but I can get what I want with 8, which is essentially demo CDs for getting the band more gigs, and keeping a memento of some of our performances.

I'd love to record the band and make CDs to sell at gigs, but being realistic, I just don't have the skills to get production I'd be happy with, particularly as I'll be playing bass while recording. It's something to aim for.

I can't see me ever going over 16 tracks. We're a three piece, sometimes four piece, and any recording I do at home is generally individual instruments tracked.

Don't forget that the more input tracks you have, the more ability to use more than one mic on each source. Not to mention time reconnecting and setup for different recordings.

I record bands as a hobby/second job (an expensive one) and I have not yet needed more than 16 tracks at once. But I often hit 16 tracks.

I only recommend that you keep future needs in mind.

For example, the Tascam will give you 8 mic preamps out of the box. Actually, I have used inputs 9/10 with xlr to 1/4" cable for addition of two more mic inputs as they 'are' preamps. That would give you 10.

You would need to purchase external preamps to make use of the last 6 channels. One stereo preamp would have to have a digital out. So you are looking at around $200 (at minimum) for each stereo channel. The level of quality of those depends on how much you wish to spend. Hard to give advice there. That is more personal in experience.

Say you purchase an interface with ADAT inputs; you can get a Beringer ADA 800 that has 8 preamps for $200. The quality of them is possibly questionable but you have more input tracks.

I hadn't realised the Tascam US16x08 had 16 simultaneous tracks! I thought it was XLR *OR* TLS inputs... blimey!

Looking at the specs, the newer model looks like it has a more powerful headphone output to me - is this a bit of a no-brainer? It's half the price of some of the others and twice the inputs... normally that would make me nervous of the quality...

It does, but only 8 preamps. Read my last post.

Yes, but I'm recording live, so the vocals etc. are already going through a PA mixer... so presumably could just be connected to the TRS inputs via the "Insert" on the desk as I currently do. The PA has 8 mic pre-amps with inserts.

I've been reading a bit more and supposedly you can use the unit stand-alone as an 8 channel mic preamp... so if I did get two, I would then have 16 XLR inputs. It's cheaper to buy another than extra preamp units unless I wanted premium preamps.

I think this may be decision made.

I've been reading a bit more and supposedly you can use the unit stand-alone as an 8 channel mic preamp... so if I did get two, I would then have 16 XLR inputs. It's cheaper to buy another than extra preamp units unless I wanted premium preamps.

I think this may be decision made.

What 'unit' are you talking about???

If longevity through OS machinations is important look at RME. Yes, pricey but, "buy cheap.....?

I would have though Linux a bit restricting but there are a couple of guys over at ..sos.com.. that use it (one with a KA6)

I know if my son came back to live and work I would rip out the "cobbled together over ten years system" he left, batter my flexible friend to death and go RME!

Dave.

The unit is the second Tascam US-16x08. If you fire it up without the USB connected, it acts as an 8 channel pre-amp, feeding the inputs on the front through the pre-amps direct to the outputs at the back.

There's very little difference in price between the Tascam and something like the Behringer Ultragain and apparently the pre-amps are better in the Tascam anyway.

Get two Tascam US-16x08 units, plug one in the USB, and plug the other in power only. Connect the outputs of one to the TRS inputs on the other = 16 mic inputs, plus I can still use up to 96kHz!

If longevity through OS machinations is important look at RME. Yes, pricey but, "buy cheap.....?

RME is way out of budget to get what I want. The price difference alone is more than the cost of a new computer, new interface, and new software. I'm not saying it's not worth it in terms of quality overall - I don't know - but the longevity of OS support is not reason enough to justify that kind of massive jump in cost.

Back