Please check out this song

Sounds a bit John lennon/late beatles to me, which is of course a good thing! I'm only a newb but for what it's worth, I think the vocals could be more defined/louder in the mix. Good work though :) Nice descending chord progressions though, again very lennon-esque (if that's what you're going for)

I love it. Again agree with the Beatlesque vibe.

I like how the vocals sit in the mix. Not sure if I heard some mellotron deeper in the mix, but if not I'd love some!

Beautiful song. Vocal could come up a little. Lower mids of the bass gtr could come down a little. Small changes - a dB or two at most.

Here's something you've never heard before I'm sure. It's very Beatle sounding. Killer sounding all the way around. I really like the desending chord structure. Keep up the good work.

Excellent song! Who is this John Lennon everyone is mentioning?

It seems like there's a bit too much compression when it comes to the kick and the bass. I can hear them clipping and it's a bit distracting and it kind of buries the vocals a bit. And the highs are a little bit too much on the cymbals/hi-hats/overheads. Otherwise, the song fits together nicely and is a pleasure to listen to. This is what Oasis should have been.

Will25-Thanks. Love John Lennon, was definitely going for that sort of thing. I used a different vocal mic than usual (an AT4033). It is a bit less defined, but I sort of thought that was maybe a good thing. Appreciate it.

justinwhite-Thanks very much for checking it out.

churchie-There is Mellotron. Not a real one unfortunately, but there is a Mellotron string sound in the first bridge or middle part or whatever it is, and then a Mellotron brass sound in the second one. Thanks a lot.

XLR-Thanks. I've been trying to work on that whole kick drum/bass thing and those low mids. I did cut some, maybe need to cut some more. Thanks.

Track Rat-Thanks very much. I like The Beatles enough to where any sort of comparison is always great, even if people say it in a bad way.

60's guy-Thanks. Not sure, I think maybe he was a walrus or something. :cool:

STAT1STICK-That must be because of my so-called mastering. I had mastered it at a lower volume, and then re-did it, probably too much. I actually did cut the highend on the overheads. I recorded the drums in a different room, my bedroom studio is really dead, so I though maybe a more lively room, would be...livelier. The other room is just as small though, with a low ceiling, and then the mics, not to mention the cymbals themselves, blah, blah, blah. Thanks very much.

Wow I'm glad I stopped in here I remember Macle from when I first signed up here. And the sound is still excellent and the song and the singing are primo. Listening to some other songs, i remember you had a female vocalist or backup way back when?? I will find this song that has been on the edge of my brain for 5 yrs! Keep up the great work you really got a good thing going.

Strat

Your stuff is always top notch all around, but I'm gonna play devils-advocate and say you should try something entirely outside your comfort zone, just go completely off, I'd love to hear what comes out.

Great work as always dude.

I love it. No surprise, because I love all your songs. PDP has a great idea above though...I'd also love to hear something totally different from you...not because I don't like what you are already doing, but just because....well, just because :)

Production and mix all sounds killer to my ears.

Very Best,

Yeah, this is very well done. Has a full and warm sound to it that I really like.

More than the beatles necessarily, it reminds me of solo john lennon with solo george harrision joining him - early '70's - ish?

Is that a leslie + delay effect on the solo bit there? That's pretty cool. Great performance. Good work.

I enjoyed that very much. Listened to more. Lovely, nice recordings, great voice, simple yet mysteriously profound lyrics. I need all the inspiration I can get and I've found much in your music! If you are selling or downloading for donations, let me know, I'd rock your music on my ride home for sure!

Also, as a huge Neil Finn fan (and his brother Tim), I hear some of that in there, I'm naturally attracted to that sound. Love it.

Well done - perhaps too well as it sounds more like a pastiche than a real song for the intro. and verse. It comes to life abit more by the chorus.
Good work.

Well there goes all my John Lennon comments... they have been done to death already

BUT!!!! I loved the song. I thought it was the missing track from Sergeant Peppers...

hi macle - it's me mo dee. Can you lay some info out about the recording of the vocals - cause you said you used a 4033 - so lay it on me in as much detail as you can

bass rolloff?, pad engaged?, how close to the mic were you, any isolation or treatment, what pre, any eq settings, what verbs or effects if any - sounds dry, but not completely. help me out here. let me know if you want to collaborate some time.

Stratomaster-Hey, how ya doing? Still have the thing going with the female vocalist (sort of). I've got a whole album that's done, but she's busy with other stuff, so I figured I'd do some solo junk. Thanks a lot.

PDP-Thanks. Something to think about.

dewhitt-Thanks very much. More to think about!

heatmiser-Thank you. Yes, that is a leslie and delay effect.

flyingace-Thank you very much. If I ever get something together like that, I'll let you know.

rayc-Thanks. Don't really know what you mean by pastiche as opposed to a real song.

GuitarLegend-I never get tired of John Lennon comments. Thanks very much.

chuckduffy-Hey! The room is a small bedroom, pretty dead, carpet, etc. Sometimes I put a couple old bathrobes on mic stands when doing vocals. Big time professional stuff! No bass roll-off, no pad. The preamp is the same Brent Averill API. No EQ. I used the Uad-1 Fairchild on this, but all software compressors sound the same to me. And then a tiny bit of the paris plate delay, 0.7 decay. That's it. Oh, a double on the bridges.

Thanks everyone for the great comments.

I apologize for not doing any listening and commenting myself, hopefully I'll have time at some point.

rayc-Thanks. Don't really know what you mean by pastiche as opposed to a real song.

chuckduffy-Hey! The room is a small bedroom, pretty dead, carpet, etc. Sometimes I put a couple old bathrobes on mic stands when doing vocals. Big time professional stuff! No bass roll-off, no pad. The preamp is the same Brent Averill API. No EQ. I used the Uad-1 Fairchild on this, but all software compressors sound the same to me. And then a tiny bit of the paris plate delay, 0.7 decay. That's it. Oh, a double on the bridges.

Hey macle-de-mac. Thanks for the info - follow on questions - I guess you mean paris plate reverb, and by decay you mean .7 reverb time? Also how close to the mic do you get, and do you feel like you are belting it out, or singing softly, or somewhere in the middle. Do you sing above the capsule, straight into it, or have it upside down - above you and sing below the capsule? When using compression do you just shave off the tops, or hit it a bit harder. Sorry for the third degree :-)

Unfortunately I know what the other dude meant by Pastiche. It generally means that a work is so stylistically similar, derivative, or imitative of another artists work that it ceases to have a life of it's own (aka not 'real'). I DON'T AGREE with the comment.

cool song.

It does sound a little over "mastered" maybe. I'd also bring the high hat down just a little. It sounds fine when it's quiet and closed, but when it gets louder it kinda jumps out at me.

super good as is.

Back