Playing what you like

ido1957

9K Gold Member
Listening to a bunch of difference bands I was in this week - converting cassettes to digital (finally and yes I'm old). One the things I notice is the playing has much more passion when I played songs I picked and/or liked. I've always played radio songs but I always preferred the classic rock tunes versus the poppy stuff. Like would you rather play Born to be Wild and Statesboro Blues or Karma Chameleon and Goody Goody Two Shoes?
The bottom line was always money though - when you need to make a living versus doing it for fun. The ft rock band made peanuts compared to the top 40 dance band.

It has ever been thus. I had good friends in a terrific band in the early 90's - Gotham City Horns. they did GREAT originals but made their living doing corporate gigs (around Asia & Australasia) playing covers in themed shows. In the end I think originals became a hobby for them.

Listening to a bunch of difference bands I was in this week - converting cassettes to digital (finally and yes I'm old). One the things I notice is the playing has much more passion when I played songs I picked and/or liked. I've always played radio songs but I always preferred the classic rock tunes versus the poppy stuff. Like would you rather play Born to be Wild and Statesboro Blues or Karma Chameleon and Goody Goody Two Shoes?
The bottom line was always money though - when you need to make a living versus doing it for fun. The ft rock band made peanuts compared to the top 40 dance band.

I would pretty much always rather play Statesboro Blues than anything else, period.

I wish I could play Statesboro Blues. Duane Allman's slide on that is brilliant. Of course I speak of the Fillmore.

Many a cover band has gone bust over those considerations.
Two guys want to play whatever it takes to get more gigs and better pay, and the others want to play covers they like.
Sometimes that can be the same thing....but often there is a rift between those trying to cater to the party/dance band crowd and those wanting to just do music they like.

Of course, with something like Karma Chameleon....it's a no brainer....who wouldn't to do that song. ;)

Obviously playing something fun would be the better thing to do. But on the other hand if you're are trying to make a living you're more than likely probably play pop music unfortunately. Kurt Cobain was able to mix his music with poppy music and he was very successful.

Guitar players are the problem. I've never played with a guitar player that thought of anything in terms of what's good for the band. It was always about which songs would spotlight the guitar and allow him to shine.

Egotistical bastards!!!!!

:D

Guitar players are the problem. I've never played with a guitar player that thought of anything in terms of what's good for the band. It was always about which songs would spotlight the guitar and allow him to shine.
Egotistical bastards!!!!!

& "shine" is a euphemsim for a particular onanistic act so that fits right into your argument.

Guitar players are the problem. I've never played with a guitar player that thought of anything in terms of what's good for the band.

This ^^^^^^^^^

I've got two in my band. One is truly all-in and plays for the song and/or good of the sound. The other just wants to shred and it's really getting on my nerves.

After enough time you realize that it's all music ..... it's all the same.
I like everything to be honest.
I only listen to stuff I really like but as for playing ...... I like to play.
And I like to play anything ..... doesn't really matter that much to me.
If given a choice I have my preferences but even then ..... if I've been doing a lotta jazz gigs I'm a little tired of it and would rather play rock until I've played it a lot then I wanna do country.
But that's just my preferences and it's not THAT big a deal when playing live to me.
Music is music.

lol ..... true .... true.

Lol. And I'm admittedly a pretty terrible lead player. At least I would be for this band. I'm much more suited to play rhythm with some minor lead duties. I'm not a stand alone "lead guitarist".....unless you like sloppy bends, pickslides, and feedback. I can do that all day long. :D

. I'm not a stand alone "lead guitarist".....unless you like sloppy bends, pickslides, and feedback. I can do that all day long. :D
well, in the right places I like all that. But we've already established I'm possibly strange.

Back