Playing 96k/32bit files Sound Bad?

radiation8

Ok weither this be a Sound Card issue which I doubt, or a processors issue which I also doubt, I think its software.

Windows XP
Intel Celeron D 3.2ghz
1.5gb Ram
Onboard Reltek Ac97 5.1 Audio
And also OLD Creative Sound Blaster 16

Heres the problem when I record or play a 96k/32bit file in Adobe Audition 3 it sounds like crap.

When I record or play a 96k/32bit file in either Audacity OR FL Studio It sounds great!

Also I took that 96k file I recorded in audacity (test of my voice) and opened it up in Audition it seems though Audition has problems PLAYING a 96k file, so I recorded a 96k file in Audition and played it back in Audacity and it sounded just fine, thus proving that it cant play a 96k file very well.

Why is this? Its it sound card? Or is Audition not as good as it seems?

EDIT: Note I dont NEED these files to be recorded at 96k I get by just fine a 44.1k, but whats the harm in learning why this is doing what it is?

Dump the card. SoundBlaster is one of those things where it's "Joke" name (SoundBlaster) is the same as it's actual name (SoundBlaster).

Thats what I though because the overall quality of the OnBoard Reltek sound is better than the the SB16.

I know I need a better sound card but Is there anything readily available from places like BestBuy, CC, etc? Othen than Creative line?

You can pick up a terratec 24/96 DMX 6 fire for very little money, I used to use one and they are really reliable, in fact I still have one in a pc I have at our rehearsal, I use it if I need to edit any of the samples we're using, I use adobe audition and it works fine with it.

and are you sure you're trying to play 32bit files in real time??? it's probably choking trying to dither down to 16 bit...

Back