plan ahead

Lip-synching has a long history, and is prevalent in movies. "Marni Nixon sang for Deborah Kerr in The King and I, Annette Warren for Ava Gardner in Show Boat, Robert McFerrin for Sidney Poitier in Porgy and Bess, Betty Wand for Leslie Caron in Gigi, Lisa Kirk for Rosalind Russell in Gypsy, and Bill Lee for Christopher Plummer in The Sound of Music. In the 1950s MGM classic Singin' in the Rain, lip synching is a major plot point."

Nevertheless, the era of the handycam has opened the way for thousands of people to create bad videos, just as digital recording paved the way for countless bad recordings and desk top publishing did for bad publications.

Creating good videos needs more than a handycam and Vegas, just as recording requires more than just a 57 and Reaper.

Despite this, I enjoy making videos; particularly music videos. Being very visual, I like to watch things while I'm listening. I've uploaded over eighty to YouTube. That doesn't mean they are very good. But they were fun to make.

My old band did a film clip a few years ago for a community TV station, only had 1/2hr to shoot. So we set up in the TV studio (with a few red lights and a few old beds, just joking) and played the song through, mimed to the CD, twice and that was it, they edited it together and it looked fine. I did actually sing along at full bore just like the recording.

The funny thing was that the keyboard player had left just before so we had a life sized cardboard Brad Pitt behind the keyboards, obviously not playing anything. The drummer on the clip was a different drummer to the recording so he just set up a kick, snare and high hat, wonder where the toms came from in the sound LOL. And whats more the version of the song was a demo recording that was completely different from the album.

Now if I can find the video, yes video tape, and somehow transfer it to digital, it may be fun on youtube.

Alan.

Brother D I get ya and if I catch ya doing it down the road I'll stop ya. :thumbs up:

I don't know if this is actually live or a very excellently edited live version but these guys have perfected creating "live" videos of them jamming at the pie pizza...maybe they are really just that good....and their effects and recording chain are really just that good.... I don't know.

As far as the pro shows go...I came to realize back in 77 that what we see isn't always what we get..."Yes" "Going for the one tour" in Vegas at the Alladin...Had awesome seats and backstage passes. After the show at the after party I got to meet the boys ( man Squire and Wakeman are tall!) and asked Wakeman about a certain place where he was playing the Hammond but I was hearing synthesizers at the same time... a little red faced he admitted they used a few "tricks" in the show. It just happens...

Last edited:
OK maybe they are really just that good...

I googled Mike Masse vocal effects and found a thread elsewhere where some dude who knows them and sits in with them on occassion said this

Those guys do rock. I know them from our day jobs, and I actually play with them some times and sit in on the U2 songs. Mike is awesome. He works for the county's public defenders office and is a great guy. He has received some local news attention recently because his very young son was sadly diagnosed with cancer. The guy on bass, Jeff, is also a great dude. He is (ironically) one of the top dogs at the county's District Attorney's office.

What sweeteners are used in post production on these videos, I can't say because I don't have any part in it. What I can say is that I have played with them, and listen to Mike sing many times- he sounds amazing in the room and certainly doesn't need pitch correction. Like I said, I am not there for any post sweeteners, so maybe (being the perfectionist that he is) he tunes a little, but I can say 100% that there is no "live" pitch correction in use because I've been there, plugged in, and done the usual poking around at other players gear racks. And, I will reiterate, to my ears, he sounds just as good live in person as these videos portray.

-Phil

Red Hill Mining Town (U2 cover) - Mike Masse, Jeff Hall and The Phil - YouTube

Back