phono preamp ==> guitar amp?

Audiophallic

Hello all. I have a burning question - How can I hook up this:

gibson_hummingbird.gif

to this:

SX62_hal.JPG

...and get sound to come out?

With the intention of getting some authentic tube distortion, I got out my acoustic guitar pickup and plugged my guitar into the phono preamp of this old Hallicrafters HAM radio using a .25" to RCA mono adapter. Didn't work.

Now, is this just impossible, or do I need some sort of specialized equipment?

are you sure the phone jack isn't a headphone output?:eek:

You would be looking for an aux input to plug your geeter into.

But why...

What's the point of getting "authentic tube distortion" (whatever that is...) on an acoustic guitar, with, I presume, a piezo pickup...

Hardly going to actually sound GOOD, I would imagine...

But why...

What's the point of getting "authentic tube distortion" (whatever that is...) on an acoustic guitar, with, I presume, a piezo pickup...

Hardly going to actually sound GOOD, I would imagine...

come on man its "toooob"..... it'l get warm and fuzzy.:laughings:

My friend took something just like that out of the grabage and turned it into an awesome tube preamp for guitar. Thing was, he happened to be an electrical engineer, and installed the correct inputs/outputs. I doubt that thing has the correct input to accept a guitar pick-up. Anyone know?

My friend took something just like that out of the grabage and turned it into an awesome tube preamp for guitar. Thing was, he happened to be an electrical engineer, and installed the correct inputs/outputs. I doubt that thing has the correct input to accept a guitar pick-up. Anyone know?

Yes it should have at least a 1/4 input as most hamms do.

:cool:

you DON'T want to use the phono-preamp input because it's meant for very low level signals from a phono cart and also, it's going to apply RIAA equalization to the signal.
Use any of the other inputs instead.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't you also need a direct box? I assume if it has another input besides the phono it's going to be looking for line level impedence.... That said I know nothing about ham radios.

I know nothing about HAM radios as well. Of course, at some point, I'd like to try an electric guitar, but all I have right now is my acoustic.

Unfortunately, the only input on the back is for phono (and it is labelled). I did have to buy a special adapter to connect the guitar to the RCA input.

Is there some other piece of equipment I could buy to make the signal process correctly, or would getting this thing to work the way I want it take a major overhaul?

Before I had an amp I hooked up my electric to an old receiver with an 8 track player, I pressed the record button and I got this super oversaturated distortion! It was rediculous, kinda like the opposite track on the lead for black sabbaths "Paranoid"

Back