Phones n Monitors

qwiktune

Sorry for another thread asking for advice on headphones and monitors but I'm putting together (or upgrading rather) my simple home studio for hiphop recording. Currently i'm using a Tascam US-800 as my interface with an MXL V63M mic for recording. Right now I have no monitors and have been trying to use some simple Sony headphones to mix :facepalm:. I've been borrowing a set of Beats headphones (i think its the Pro version) from a buddy of mine cause since they are powered it kinda of gives a better sound however they are pretty boomy. I'm just looking for a set of headphones that are good for recording and listening mainly. Like for the artist to hear the music and himself while recording. Since learning I should really be using monitors to mix, I'm looking for a simple pair. My basement where i'm recording is not treated and i understand the importance of it, however as im just starting out so i'm looking for something entry level but good enough that I wouldnt need to upgrade right away when I get more experience. My price point would be somewhere around $99 for headphones and $150ish for a pair of monitors, if possible.

To be honest with you.........I'd wait a little longer until I could afford a little more $$$. Especially for monitors. You mention that you don't want to have to upgrade soon after. At $150 a pair for monitors (new).........you will. Maybe spend the money on decent phones like the Audio Technica ATH-M50's......or the like. That will help you to get the track in better to start with and then look around for a good deal on some 6 inch or bigger monitors...........new or used. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

What kind do you recommend? Only thing i've ever really looked into were Rokit 8s. I was looking at the ATH M50s actually as well. Others include AKG K-271 MKII and Shure SRH840. Monitors however, i'm not to familiar with as much yet.

I am completely happy with my Rockit G2-8's. Get them used from someone reputable. My next investment is going to be around $3,000 for monitors. If that happens soon, I will sell you my Rokits for $200. It going to be a while tho. I have other things to pay for first.

I am completely happy with my Rockit G2-8's. Get them used from someone reputable. My next investment is going to be around $3,000 for monitors. If that happens soon, I will sell you my Rokits for $200. It going to be a while tho. I have other things to pay for first.

Not sure you still find them, but I purchased the Rockit 8's G2 for $149. Jumped on them. You might check Amazon to see if they still have them, since they have gone to the G3's these were discounted pretty steep.

As Jimmy stated, might be able to find some used ones for a good price.

Well I'm not looking any time soon so just let me know when you might sell. Thanks

Not sure you still find them, but I purchased the Rockit 8's G2 for $149. Jumped on them. You might check Amazon to see if they still have them, since they have gone to the G3's these were discounted pretty steep.
As Jimmy stated, might be able to find some used ones for a good price.

I dont see it for that price on there, but that sounds like a hell of a steal

I'm going to try to find myself a set of ATH-M50s first though, while I wait for Jimmy to give up those Rockit's =] lol

Well I love the ATH-M50s but decided im ready for some starter studio monitors. Not sure the time table on when you might be ready to sell the Rockit's but I was curious if anyone had experience with the
M-Audio BX5 D2s? I saw a deal new for $160 and was thinking about it. I notice they only have XLR balanced and 1/4” balanced/unbalanced inputs, as my Tascam US800 uses RCA outputs for monitors so I was wondering how/what kind of adapters do I need in order to get the proper left/right channel in its respective monitor.

Well I love the ATH-M50s but decided im ready for some starter studio monitors. Not sure the time table on when you might be ready to sell the Rockit's but I was curious if anyone had experience with the
M-Audio BX5 D2s? I saw a deal new for $160 and was thinking about it. I notice they only have XLR balanced and 1/4” balanced/unbalanced inputs, as my Tascam US800 uses RCA outputs for monitors so I was wondering how/what kind of adapters do I need in order to get the proper left/right channel in its respective monitor.
RCA to 1/4" unbalanced cables are easy to find.

I'm not sure what the whole balanced/unbalanced thing means but Am i right to assume that the adapter would be RCA one side and 1/4" plugs on the other, but 2 separate wires being the LEFT/RIGHT, (RED/WHITE). Whats a quality set to get?

Also, reviews or suggestions on those monitors as a good choice for home recording studio?

Back