Performing Solo With a looper

240v

Super Perfectionist
Hello,

I recently ordered an Boss RC3 to play live. I'm wondering if someone has some tips about using/performing live with loopers, as I'm not too familiar with them. Would I be able to go from verse to prechorus etc? Thanks

It depends on the looper and it's functionality...there are different models that have more/less.

I use a Boss RC50 live with an acoustic guitar and GT10 effects board. As the RC50 has three different patches available to play and build with, I can do most material on it as I have different options/ chord structures available for verse, chorus etc.

I think the RC3 only has a single patch (I think) you have limitations with what you can do. It also depends upon what "live" is for you... I can do solo stuff although most is with a duo, but not a band. If you're on your own, then you're going to be restricted, but if you're part of a band, I can see definite uses for even a single looper.

You can pre-record your whole song backing parts to the looper, then just pick the patch, hit 'play' and play along with it. If you want to be able to switch between certain patches, or record them on the fly and switch between them, you will need a better looper pedal.

You can pre-record your whole song backing parts to the looper, then just pick the patch, hit 'play' and play along with it. If you want to be able to switch between certain patches, or record them on the fly and switch between them, you will need a better looper pedal.

That's exactly what I was thinking. However, it turned out that I can actually record multiple patches and 'queue' them, so that when the current one stops playing, the next one kicks in automatically :D

Good luck with that. usually you have to stop the current loop. advance to the next one, then start that one.

I use a Ditto looper. Pretty much straight forward since there's only one button but... it works.
I start playing a verse and sing over it doing all the licks in between, then stop the looping part for the chorus and bring it back for the rest of the song.

One thing I do hate is people using a looper like

1 + 1
1 + 1 + 1

This a way a song becomes boring as hell

The great thing about using it live is that people will always be amazed :D

Back