Perfectly Clear - Remix...

i think i heard this one the first time through.....not sure though.......

mix wise it sounds pretty good......i don't have any real suggestions that would help a lot

i have trouble making out some of the words that the singer is singing.......the melodies are nice.......but i think i'd have quite a time trying transcribe some of the words out........

nice song.........

skids,

I never heard the first rendition of this mix but, this one sounds spot on!

Everything seems to fit and have its own space in the mix.

Nothing jumped out at me that seemed out of place other then the vocal being a little too out front in a couple of spots but not in a deadly serious way at all.

My only gripe with the song is, I can't make out hardly any of the lyrics and it is not because of any mix related issues. It just seems to be the vocalists style to flower up the lines with so much apegiating that I have no idea what she is trying to say. Is that important? Probably not. Just my silly opinion.

Very solid mix and over all sound.

Excellent work!

Cheers! :)

Hey thanks for the responses guys.

Powder LOL on the words. This song especially moves around a lot. She stretches words, etc. Thanks for listen and mix comment

TGOFM Same comment, huh? :) A least it sound like I did better on mix. :) ;) Thanks for the time.

I don't know. I still think it sounds low mid heavy, a little muddy. Hopefully some of you guys that heard this the first time...if you remember, :rolleyes: , can comment. :D

I really want to know if I am doing some things right and what I am doing wrong.

We plan to record a new song in the next month or so. I want to apply any suggestions to that.

Thanks all.

Oh yeah. Here are the lyrics. LOL You can read along. LOL

StudioV! Ignore this post! ;) :D

perfectly clear

searching the dark, trying to find
that magic spark
to come and show me what this life is for, my dear now
i know the way, follow my heart

C
finally, it's perfectly clear that
i've had all that i needed right here
all that there is and all we are -
loving, loving, loving you is everything

a milion paths, which way to go
no guarantee of truly being happy
filling the emptiness with golden dreams
and promises

B
...it's the little things
we do each day
to love and feel,
to live to give

Hey Skids,

This song is great, i love that chicks vocals. What sweet voice. I feel like this song is a kinda Tori but lower in the vocal register. The piano definitely reinforces this.

I was actually able to A/B this off of the earlier version for comparison ( i have a version that says "perfectly clear 192").

So i guess I'm comparing Version 1.92 with Version 2.

Some immediate differences, the highs on the opening guitars have been tamed somewhat. The bass is definitely more prevalent, fuller. On the first version it was almost non-existant. The vox have been restrained somewhat so they feel like they're now sitting within the mix rather than on top of it. In the new version there's maybe a few spots where I feel they could be a little louder, but I don't feel that way about the overall track. Maybe just an envelope to push a few spots.

Did you add an overall reverb to the entire mix? It definitely feels more overall polished than the original. Sweet work skids.

Khompewtur said:
I was actually able to A/B this off of the earlier version for comparison ( i have a version that says "perfectly clear 192").

So i guess I'm comparing Version 1.92 with Version 2.

LOL. No I think that 192 was the sampling rate. I think I was testing some different rates Mr. I Use 320 Now. :D ;)

Totally cool you had the old version though!! :)

Hey, thanks so much for the comments. That's reassuring. I agree on the vox level thing. She sings so dynamically that it can be hard and I did not want to overcompress like I did last time. LOL.

Regarding the verb - I did not add an overall verb, but I did a lot of work on the vocals with sends, verbs, delays. Ha, I sound like I know what I am doing. I tried. Thanks for the compliments on the mix and especially the song as that is most important in my book!

It's a maddening process, isn't it?

I'd say you're damned close. I think I agree with you about the low mids, and the numbers agree with you too. It's a little hot in the 180-315 range, and it's a little light in the ass frequencies, but I opened it up in the editor and started playing around a bit, and I can't say that anything I did made it sound better than it is right now. It's REALLY sensitive to a low mid cut, and that voice just comes blasting out at you in a kind of un-nice way when I tried it. I think it's the kind of dull drum sound (which is totally appropriate for this tune) which adds to the illusion of mud, lol...but it's not really muddy.

Anyway, if I had just listened to this without the critical ear thing going on, like on the radio, I wouldn't have thought to myself..."man, that's one muddy recording."...and that's the true test, isn't it?

Still love the tune.

That's really good. I especially like the dynamics of the intro. It build very nicely. Like a lot of people, I can't understand any of the lyricks, but then I find that to be a pretty common condition and the vocals are very sweet.

The vocals seemed good but I couldnt understand the lyrics. The bottom end could come up a tad as well as the high. The song seems very busy to me. I would redo the bass. I heard too many bass notes off but could of been the piano also.
For the most part I liked the song. The singer has a desirable voice. She just needs to articulate the words better, but so do I-lol... The song definantly sticks in your head.
Myx

Needs distorted guitar and Tuba..........................

just kidding man....
I like this tune a lot....

Cranberries kind of vox....hard to follow but, who cares...it sounds cool....and like Chris said....that's what it's all about....

but hey... I am a newbie....what the hell do I know :D

Be well my friends,
Joe

skids,

for some reason, this song sounds "rushed" from the second it starts. Something tells me that it will sound alot better if the tempo was slower a bit.

I dig the drum sound, and like how it's just back there in the mix. Kinda wish the kick was louder tho.

Al

Last edited:
imma' tell yer mommy on you ... posted the lyrics ... but i didn' LOoK ! :rolleyes:

gonna listen though ...

actually i am familiar with your singers style, so I know what to expect ... door #2 :D

I do hear some line noise or tape hiss in the very beginning, the split second before it begins.

Right after that I am blown away with how smooth and nice everything is in the mix.

And on the second listen, the little drum at 00:08 is very tasteful now, the answering drum at 00:16, I would take down a bit, as it is higher pitched it is going to seem to be much louder than the lower drum, perhaps lowering that answering drum a bit, and putting more reverb on it.

Her voice is mixed on top, and well on top, but still sitting in the mix.

At 1:04, this is the high pitched drum, and we do need to hear it's authority here, as you are using it effectively as a head-turner of sorts and as a real placemarker for the listener, but it could come down.

I bet she can sing the hell out of Alannis Morissette can't she.

I really think she is approaching a female Joe Cocker of sorts and Alannis Morissette adores Joe Cocker ...

There is very little sibilance on her vocal ... you are getting good at this fella.

I love the piano progression, the change at 1:42, almost charlie BROWN ... I wanna say :D

At 1:58, what happens in the piano is very complicated, and I would take this down considerably. It's a point of reflection for all of us, the singer, the song and the listener.

That complexity in the piano there would be more effective very quiet. Draw us in with this. As we have already been treated to that nice meaty change, this change at 1:59, needs to be mixed more subtly ... as if that's what it 'really' is ... deep in your mind, that's what it 'grew' into, deep in your heart ... oh golly i'm gushing aren't i :D

Hey, at 2:31 she's "had all that she can stand" or something ... I wouldn't mess with her ... if I were you ;-)

The slaptrap at the end, I would have it very, very distant, and roll some tap delay off it, because everything is ... fading ... and you used it aggressively in the beginning, so I would use it gently as the song ... takes itself out. This could promote some air of ... mystery ... like the old picket fence shutting closed on the scene

Sounds really nice, Todd. The mix is really good, very dimensional. And I love the sound of her voice, but there was a LOT of the vocal that I wished was more clear. She has a very expressive voice that often leaves the words lacking in articulation. I don't think I would like the effects of more compression. It's in the performance. To repeat I LOVE her voice AND her performance. Just wished it was more clear lyrically.

The band and the voice sound excellent, and the mix is very pleasing. As I said, nicely spaced. I'm looking forward to some new music from you guys!

Tom

This song has real great potential, I love the sound, I'm most happy with songs with an acoustic feel. To get the guitar and piano to sit together in a mix is a beautiful thing.

My only problem is pretty much what SLuiCe said so I'll leave it at that.

very cool.. getting a Tori/Alanis vibe.. I dont remember the first one but this one sounds pretty good to me.. I can't make out some of the words but that has nothing to do with the mix, and it's not always important.. I really like her voice.. no suggestions for the mix.. nice job.

Nice song. I love the feel when it goes into the chorus. Real nice.

I can't add much to what others have said.

I only spot checked other responses, but am I the only one who think the piano and acoustic guit are just a little to hot in the midrange? Just seems a little too crispy to me. Some of those ride cymbals are really sharp sounding.

I like the singer, she has a nice voice. Lack of articulation has always bugged me. The deliberate mis-prounciation of words is another pet peeve of mine. It's a personal preference thing.

I'm sounding way too negative on this. Suffice it to say that I fell much of the same postives that other people expressed.

Good job. Trip...

Hey Skids...here I am....finally back from work.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I have no mixing comments. Sounds great to me. Well, perhaps that's exactly what you're waiting for, hahaha! :D

I like the vocals a lot. I don't care much about articulation, because my own articulation sucks eggs too LOL (no, this is not meant as a 'do I look fat in this dress?' comment :) )

Back