People Must Fall

CrowsofFritz

Flamingo!
Here's a new one. The guitar is out of tune, but at the same it's not :mad: I think it's because the piano is throwing it off, but it's still in tune with the voices.

Last edited:
Piano? I'm assuming the multi-voice effect is what you wanted, but it's near-impossible to make out the actual words. 'People must fall' and 'hero' are all I could get out of it.

Interesting piece. I think that you didn't quite pull it off to be honest though. I think it is worth getting it right. All the vocals should really be super tight and precise, both in terms of harmony and timing. It's all a bit loose right now. I didn't really get "guitar out of tune". I actually didn't really even notice a guitar after a few listens.

Here's a new one. The guitar is out of tune, but at the same it's not :mad: I think it's because the piano is throwing it off, but it's still in tune with the voices.

I must first ask one question...

Why would you even continue with a song with an instrument that you guess is out of tune-or not?

If one seems out, which to me is obvious that the vocals are, then I would recommend taking care of those issues before sharing. Just my opinion.

I can't give any concrete mix advice if the performance is off.

My first suggestion would be to get the vocals in tune. They are totally the issue IMO.

I like the baseball glove effect of the vocal panning.
I like the whole thing.
Man, tune that banjo or replace the 12 string!

Yeah, the vox are the big thing that needs to be addressed here. Get the timing and tuning right on them and clean up those lip smacks.

I noticed pitchiness in the vocal moreso than the out of tune guitar. I had to listen close to tell the guit was out of tune. But the vocal was easy.

The reverb was cool. Not my thing, but still cool. Kind of a Fleet Foxes sound. It is washing out the vocal to a certain extent. You might want to play with a wet/dry mix or EQ the reverb to help with that.

Small pop on the left at :40. Might be a few others.

There are a lot of wet lip smacks.

That will need to be fixed. I'll probably re-record.

Piano? I'm assuming the multi-voice effect is what you wanted, but it's near-impossible to make out the actual words. 'People must fall' and 'hero' are all I could get out of it.

The piano comes in with that bass after the second line. I got that idea from a Mumford and Sons song. I think re-recording is best.

Interesting piece. I think that you didn't quite pull it off to be honest though. I think it is worth getting it right. All the vocals should really be super tight and precise, both in terms of harmony and timing. It's all a bit loose right now. I didn't really get "guitar out of tune". I actually didn't really even notice a guitar after a few listens.

Yeah, I'll probably re-record. Thanks for listening!

I must first ask one question...

Why would you even continue with a song with an instrument that you guess is out of tune-or not?

If one seems out, which to me is obvious that the vocals are, then I would recommend taking care of those issues before sharing. Just my opinion.

I can't give any concrete mix advice if the performance is off.

My first suggestion would be to get the vocals in tune. They are totally the issue IMO.

Funnily enough, I didn't think the vocals were out of tune, but my ears weren't hearing it until you pointed it out. Now it's all I hear. I started off with vocals a cappella, which was my mistake. I'll recording with a tuned instrument this time and simply delete that instrument where I don't want it. Thanks for listening!

I like the baseball glove effect of the vocal panning.
I like the whole thing.
Man, tune that banjo or replace the 12 string!

Thanks rayc! I'll probably re-do the whole thing. :)

Yeah, the vox are the big thing that needs to be addressed here. Get the timing and tuning right on them and clean up those lip smacks.

Will do! Thanks!

I noticed pitchiness in the vocal moreso than the out of tune guitar. I had to listen close to tell the guit was out of tune. But the vocal was easy.

The reverb was cool. Not my thing, but still cool. Kind of a Fleet Foxes sound. It is washing out the vocal to a certain extent. You might want to play with a wet/dry mix or EQ the reverb to help with that.

Small pop on the left at :40. Might be a few others.

I was actually going for a Fleet Foxes kinda sound! I'll play around with the reverb a bit. :) Thanks for listening!

Didn't hear the first version, and as I've said elsewhere I don't do mix critiques from this laptop because of the shitty soundcard - but I second the Fleet Foxes reference - it sort of sounds like it wants to go somewhere though... is it the start of something else, or a piece on its own?

Sounds pretty good. If there was a nit, it'd be the highest voice, which strays just a smidge here and there... but very nice dude.

Thanks guys! I think I'll have this as it's own song, but make the next song in the album "People Will Rise," another idea I have that will use that as a sort of lead. :D

Back