Peluso-cemc6

neogardguitar

I have been using a Shure sm81 for recording guitar. I have 2 pretty high end hand made acoustics.

Just wondering if going to the PELUSO-CEMC6 is a big upgrade?

Anyone used both to compare?

Thanks
N

Funny how people define "upgrade"... I just recently sold my MXL pencil condensers and bought an SM81 :rolleyes:

They are in the same price range, and I've seen about the same amount of good reviews for both mics on this site, so I don't know if they are going to offer an "upgrade", per se - but might give you a different sound.

Looking to sell that SM81? :D

In my never ending search for "the" acoustic mic, I bought a SM81 based on the high marks on this board. I did not buy a new mic, but an older SM81, and have to say it just did not do anything for me. Mine seemed to have a harsh sound, not smooth like I was expecting. That was a surprise.

So, I ordered the Peluso mic you are considering, did an A/B between my SM81 and Peluso, sold the SM81, and still have the Peluso. It is not the perfect acoustic mic, but in my situation, was a better choice.

Good luck, Charlie

PS - I am still looking for "the" perfect acoustic mic, so the Peluso may not be enough of an upgrade for you. If you find "the" mic without taking out a loan, let me know.

The sm81 is a bit of a different mic. It is a kind of neutral mic that does not do a whole lot of extra stuff for you. Seems a lot like you are sitting there. Many other mics add a nice high end air, or a ricj low end etc... that we often find pleasing. I find the sm81 to be a great mic, but I like things a little "bigger" sounding so often do not use it in the studio. I just ordered a bunch of the Peluso's so when they come in I can do a quick test between the Peluso, sm81, mxl 604 and AKG 451 and even the 414.

I have been using a Shure sm81 for recording guitar. I have 2 pretty high end hand made acoustics.

Just wondering if going to the PELUSO-CEMC6 is a big upgrade?

Anyone used both to compare?

Thanks
N

I use SM81s mostly for live recording applications. I also purchased a pair of Peluso CEMC6s and Beyer M930s and I find that the 930s are warmer and have a smoother top end on acoustic sources. I ended up selling the Pelusos, not because I didn't like them, but because I prefer the SM81s for live recording. To me the 930s sounded like an upgrade, when compared to the SM81, but not as much with the Peluso.

Keep in mind that I like all three of these mics and would have no problem recording with any of them. My only negative is that the 930s cost more. I would also hold on to the SM81s, you can't go wrong with them.

In my never ending search for "the" acoustic mic, I bought a SM81 based on the high marks on this board. I did not buy a new mic, but an older SM81, and have to say it just did not do anything for me. Mine seemed to have a harsh sound, not smooth like I was expecting. That was a surprise.

I never had a problem with harshness using SM81s, unless it was the source or the room. Both the SM81 and CEMC6 have a flat response, with a little more detail going to the latter.

I just ordered a bunch of the Peluso's so when they come in I can do a quick test between the Peluso, sm81, mxl 604 and AKG 451 and even the 414.

I would love to hear your opinion of each/comparison. Please share when the opportunity arises.

I recently becam a dealer for Peluso and for Red Microphones. My CEMC6's have not arrived yet, but the 2247 that came sounds incredible so far on vocals. It doesn't hurt to run it through a Pendulum Quartet either though;)

Back