Pedaltrain PT-2...Soft or Hard Case?

pdadda

Captain Sea Boots
I am gonna buy one of these pedalboards, and I am weighing the pros and cons of each case. I don't do heavy gigging (2-3 times a month locally), and I always bring my own gear in my truck. I don't have super-expensive pedals, but I don't want then to break. For what its worth, I will be putting the following on the board:

Digitech Whammy WH-4, Boss TU-2, ProCo Turbo RAT, Boss DD-20, Akai Headrush E2, EHX, Switchblade, and an EHX Big Muff Pi.

The board and soft case is $119 and with hard case is $189. I have heard the hard case is good, but I don't like all the extra room in it (even though they claim it absorbs shock). I have heard the soft case doesn't have any padding. Is there any room in it to put some foam in? DOes it have padding on the bottom? Thanks in advance.

I've noticed that people using gig bags tend to be more careful of their stuff. Which is not to say they are better, but if they inspire you to pay a little more attention, well, that could be a good thing. Don't take that as an endorsement of either one. If you're not touring heavily, I think the gig bag would be enough. If you are touring heavily, then the hard case makes a lot of sense.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I have heard the soft case doesn't have any padding. Is there any room in it to put some foam in? DOes it have padding on the bottom? Thanks in advance.

I have one of those with the soft case as I don't play out much. It does in fact have padding on all sides. It is NOT simply a fabric case. It feels like thin high density foam of some type is encased within the bag's sides. The foam in the front and back of the bag also appears to have a hard surface towards the outside of the bag which would protect the pedals better. If I was just gigging sporadically, I'd say the soft case would be fine.

I have one of those with the soft case as I don't play out much. It does in fact have padding on all sides. It is NOT simply a fabric case. It feels like thin high density foam of some type is encased within the bag's sides. The foam in the front and back of the bag also appears to have a hard surface towards the outside of the bag which would protect the pedals better. If I was just gigging sporadically, I'd say the soft case would be fine.

I don't use that pedal board, I use a Furman pedal board. But I do clearly remember the day I was buying it. I could have sprung for a hard case for $50 more. But I decided to save my money.

Now, after two years of gigs, the zippers on that soft case are all torn to shreds, and i have it all jerry-rigged to keep it closed.

I say if you're gigging at all, hard case it is.

My experience has been to always go with a hardshell case instead of a soft bag for carrying ANYTHING worth over $100. Stuff happens. ;)

Back