Pedal vs. rack compressors...and which do you use?

jndietz

The Way It Moves
I've been looking at the Boss CS-3. Not really sure what else to look for in the realm of compressors for guitar set ups.

I play funk music, and after messing with the CS-3 yesterday at Guitar Center, I've realized that getting some sort of compressor would really benefit my playing.

Thanks

I have a Joe Meek Floor Q compressor. It also has a nice pre as part of the pedal.

I just sold my Boss RCL-10 half-rack and my Boss CS-3 pedal.

I have to admit I did not like the CS-3 at all. All I seemed to be able to do with it was introduce noise. I prefer more traditional controls on a compressor.

I liked the RCL-10 but I like the Floor Q more.

I suggest you try out the Joe Meek product before you buy the CS-3.

Not that you can really lose with a Boss product they are cheap enough and easy to resell.

There's way 'better' than a CS-3, even after all the mods. You will get 912 suggestions, and they're all valid. Pick which ever you like that sounds good with your other gear. Get a feel for the difference between VCA and optical. Decide if you 'need' an attack control. You'll be better off in the long run if you do your homework first. I'm partial to BBE since they're good, and they don't break the bank, so compare a Bench Press to an Opto Stomp.

The CS-3 is good for sustain but doesn't do the classic chicken pickin' attack thing,for that a Dynacomp is perfect.What are you looking for dynamics wise from your compressor?

I've been looking at the Boss CS-3. Not really sure what else to look for in the realm of compressors for guitar set ups.

I play funk music, and after messing with the CS-3 yesterday at Guitar Center, I've realized that getting some sort of compressor would really benefit my playing.

Thanks
I use a 70's MXR Dyna-Comp compressor. the only issue I Have is there's no idiot light so i never know if I"ve switched it off thus draining the battery.

I use a 70's MXR Dyna-Comp compressor. the only issue I Have is there's no idiot light so i never know if I"ve switched it off thus draining the battery.

It'll be a TRS jack for the input, and plugging a cable in gets the battery going, not whether or not the footswitch is 'on' and any idiot light is telling you have compression. I'd put that 70's MXR in a shoebox under my bed for future eBay shenanigans, and use a Dunlop reissue, or the one the original guy is making under the Whirlwind name (Dunlop owns 'MXR' so the original people can't even use their own name). There's also the BMF Little Red Compressor. It's all the same; they all use the same circuit with the same IC, but now they have a DC power jack and LED indicator.

I also have one of the old (or is it vintage) MXR Dynacomp pedals for 'live' playing, but use
the Waves plug-ins for recording.

Back