Peavey Classic Thirty Cap Job.

dogooder

she has a bunch of 22uf@25V electrolytic caps in her. I have a bunch of 25uf, some 25V some 50V, new, kicking around.
Should I use them?

Yeah, if it's working fine, there's no reason to change them, but if you do want to, you're fine using the 25uF either at 25 or 50V. Most caps are rated something like -10% to +30%, and 25uF is about +10%.

I haven't done a thing to my Classic 30, except to change out some microphonic tubes. Oh yeah, I had to dry out the reverb tank and speaker, and reglue the covering after it was in water up to the middle of the speaker! It still worked.

Peavey.jpg

Yeah, if it's working fine, there's no reason to change them, but if you do want to, you're fine using the 25uF either at 25 or 50V. Most caps are rated something like -10% to +30%, and 25uF is about +10%.

I haven't done a thing to my Classic 30, except to change out some microphonic tubes. Oh yeah, I had to dry out the reverb tank and speaker, and reglue the covering after it was in water up to the middle of the speaker! It still worked.

View attachment 124910
Ouch! How much stuff in that room was destroyed?

I had one bad tube socket, this the third time I have been in there and this time I just replaced all the tube sockets. She was also having other
intermittent problems so while I am in there I figured go for it. I have most of the caps laying around from working on other amps. Now, my classic
50, changing tubes out. The tubes in the 30 are brand new, I figured since I'm not using it at the moment I'll switch the tubes out. I go to take the tubes
out of the 50, take the back cover off, can't get them out that way. It's kinda dark, I can't see well, I figure hell, I'll look on you tube, nothing on you tube. It
seems you have to take the bottom cabinet panel off and then there are two plates? under the tubes screwed to the chassis that have to be removed to get
to the tubes? What were the engineers thinking that day. The classic 30 has three boards that fold into and L shape that is a pain in the butt to work with. It
looks like the 50 is one board? I haven't got back to it yet.

Ouch! How much stuff in that room was destroyed?
A couple of computers, 1 guitar had to be refinished. Lots of books, magazines, photo slides, audio tapes, computer programs, record jackets. Furnace, freezer, water heater, washer and drier. Basically anything that was on the bottom shelves and in boxes on the floor. I was able to save the IMFs, the Peavey and my Guild amp were fine after a cleaning. It was quite the mess. Carrying wet carpet and some furniture out was lots of work. Cutting off 3 ft of drywall, and pulling wood paneling, then doing repairs took a few months.

I cringe when I seen places that get flooded out.

• Wow
Reactions: RFR
Almost done, waiting for a few more caps to arrive. Why do they glue those caps down, it's not for a heat sink
What a pain in the ass.

Back