Peavey Classic 30

Hey all,
so Ive been recently shopping around for a new amp, because im getting tired of my shitty solid state vox amp. and was wondering what you guys thought of the peavey calssic 30. also if I can play it without my mom killing me (But that one's not as important)

The Classic 30 is a pretty well regarded tube amp as far as mass produced amps go.
I have a couple of friends who prefer them for their main gigging amp so it's a decent amp.
30 watt tube amps are NOT quiet though.

But I believe that amp has a master volume so you can play it as soft as you want and still get a decent preamp distortion.

I had a Delta Blues amp for a little while, which is very close to the Classic 30....I think the only difference is that the Delta is a 115 combo and the Classic a 112.

Initially I liked it.....but quickly developed a dislike for the fizzy preamp section. So, it depends on how you like to dial it in.
If you can run harder, then you can dial back the preamp and let the power section crunch....but if you try to go low-level and still want some crunch...you have to push more on the preamp section, and to my ears, it was kinda lame.

YMMV............

Well... everything!

I have had a Classic 30 for years. It's been through a lot, even a house fire. Still works fine. Peavey makes tough stuff.

I agree about the fizzy pre-amp distortion. You can help that a bunch by swapping out the pre-amp tubes for better ones. The re-issue Tung-Sols are fine. JJ makes a tube it calls an EL-844. It's a drop in replacement for the power tubes. You reduce the output by about 25%. They sound a bit darker and break up earlier and at lower volume. (You can afford to give up some clean headroom in a Classic 30. It has plenty.

The Classic 30 isn't the best at anything, but it is pretty damn good at most things other than metal. It's as good a value in a tube amp as I can think of.

The things said above are spot on, but let me add a little.

C-30's are, indeed, good all-rounders, good for blues, country and rock, jazz probably, but not quite nasty enough for metal and such- but using a pedal you can get there or at least very close. 2 input channels, switchable at control panel or via foot switch. No master volume, but the drive channel has pre- and post- gain controls, so you can get decent dirt at bedroom volumes- but you are not driving the power tubes that hard, so it won't be great. Pretty good reverb, although the only reason I can figure for it being foot-switchable is because Peavey likes 2-button foot switches and there was nothing else to control.

It's a good-looking amp, with tweed (or available black tweed) imitation tolex and chrome-plated control panel. It's narrow-panel front does a good impression of a Fender's look. 30 watts is good power for many beyond the bedroom situations, but you can get drowned out by a loud drummer. Just ask him to learn how to really play. Then duck- he'll be a one-stick player for a few minutes after that. Seriously, 30 "tube" watts are about twice as loud as 30 "SS" watts, so you are about as good on volume as, say, a Peavey Bandit (another very good amp.)

Best to buy used, IMO, not just because of the savings (you can find them, used but nice, for about $300 or so,) but because they are now made in China- Peavey used to take real pride in being "Made in the USA," but market forces changed that.

I had a C-30- it was my first all-tube amp except for the Monkey-Wards Model 6000 "radio tube" amp I had as a teen. I was very happy with it, but I wanted on-board tremolo (the MW amp had tremolo, and I have been fruit for that stuff ever since,) so I bought a Delta Blues 210. Same amp but with tremolo and 2 10's (also available with 1 15.) I liked the look of the C-30 better, FWIW, the "TV front" look never did it for me. Only sold the C30 because I didn't feel the need for a backup, and then only sold the DB210 when I scored a SF Deluxe Reverb way cheap, and the Fender was everything the Peavey was, and more. But not a lot more. Reverb was deeper, clean was Fender's famous bell-like chime, and everybody ohh's and ahh'd when I walked in the room with the DR. Remove the Peavey logo from the attractive oxblood grill cloth and most folks won't even notice you aren't playing a Fender- the newer ones with the logo in an oval don't pull that off as well, which is another reason to buy used.

If I felt the need to trim the cost of my rig, I would probably sell my DR* and buy a C-30 or DB-210- and the extra $1200 or so would be nice, too. You are probably at about 80-90% of what a Deluxe Reverb is, with a C-30/Delta Blues, at about 20% of the cost. Both your guitar guru and your financial advisor would approve.

*Actually, the DR lives and works at Studio101NOLA, and I play through a Ampeg Jet J12T, these days.

I've had a Classic 30 for a few months now and enjoy it. All I would say is that I can rarely turn it past 2 on the volume knob when I'm playing at home. The master volume on the dirt channel does allow for some nice distortion at low volumes though.

I had a Delta Blues amp for a little while, which is very close to the Classic 30....I think the only difference is that the Delta is a 115 combo and the Classic a 112.

Initially I liked it.....but quickly developed a dislike for the fizzy preamp section. So, it depends on how you like to dial it in.
If you can run harder, then you can dial back the preamp and let the power section crunch....but if you try to go low-level and still want some crunch...you have to push more on the preamp section, and to my ears, it was kinda lame.

YMMV............
Accurate answer.

I don't think any Peavey amp sounds great, no matter what mods you do, or what kind of music you play. Dropping a sh*t load of money into a Peavey defeats the purpose of buying a Peavey. Peavey hands down delivers the most Volume per Buck. That is why you buy a Peavey. You buy a Marshall to match your ego. I had to heavily mod all my Marshall amps. I bought a Lab Series L5 in 1979 and played it until the 90's. My opinion on Fender amps is the same. You play a Fender amp because it's safe. The two best sounding amps l ever heard was an early 90's Crate tube amp, l have three, and a cheap ass Bugera tube amp l bought in El Paso from a pawn shop in 2013. Those were cheaper than the Peaveys and 100% tone monsters.

I remember playing a Peavey Tube amp that this venue had (forget the model) when I was in Poland in '02 or 04'. It was the sweetest amp ever. Not sure if it was so great because of the higher voltage over there or what but headroom and breakup were amazing. I loved it.

Something to be said about running on 230v compared to 110v US. ('course only if the amp is set up for it.) Not sure why but it's nice.

I used one for twenty years on stage, worked great. Lightweight, great sounding, nice reverb, if it wasn't loud enough, put a mic in front of it. If one bides ones time one can grab one for between 250.00 and 350.00. I have a Marshall DSL40C and have owned the Fender Blues Deluxe, I forgot which Vox tube amp. I always went back to the classic thirty. My fave though was the Ampeg VT22, just too loud and heavy but boy did it kick ass. Right now I have the classic 30, a Magnatone M15, Ampeg Gemini II, Ampeg echo Twin, Peavey Mark IV bass, some tiny little 15 watt tube amp I got in a trade, played it once. Always go back to the classic thirty. The only drawback was no tremolo and that was rectified with a Seymour Duncan Shape Shifter. The Peavey Delta Blues is the exact same amp but with Tremolo. Had one of those also but sold it.

Hmm. I see mixed reviews. I guess it boils down to taste.

I hated mine. Too clean, too loud. To get any kind of power tube overdrive out of it I had to crank it to where my drummer wanted to kill me. :D
Overdrive channel was too’ fizzy’, sounded like shit.
It made for a decent pedal platform amp, but had no tube magic.

Now, I had an early peavey classic 50 with 4 10s. Back when they looked like a narrow panel tweed amp.
Now that was a great amp!

Hmm. I see mixed reviews. I guess it boils down to taste.

I hated mine. Too clean, too loud. To get any kind of power tube overdrive out of it I had to crank it to where my drummer wanted to kill me. :D
Overdrive channel was too’ fizzy’, sounded like shit.
It made for a decent pedal platform amp, but had no tube magic.

Now, I had an early peavey classic 50 with 4 10s. Back when they looked like a narrow panel tweed amp.
Now that was a great amp!
I never used the overdrive channel, I just put a vintage Chandler Overdrive pedal in front of it when I wanted it. I very rarely use any distortion anyway. For the last 20 years or so I never played anything on stage but my own stuff so I wasn't trying to get anyone elses sound.

I never used the overdrive channel, I just put a vintage Chandler Overdrive pedal in front of it when I wanted it. I very rarely use any distortion anyway. For the last 20 years or so I never played anything on stage but my own stuff so I wasn't trying to get anyone elses sound.
That works ( chandler)

I had a solid state peavey bandit. That worked well. But being solid state, I never expected any magic out of it. I just set it clean at the desired volume and had my pedals doing the tone shaping.

It was ok.

But with a tube amp I expect much more and prefer no pedals for saturation.

Classic thirty failed to deliver

I had a solid state peavey bandit. That worked well. But being solid state, I never expected any magic out of it. I just set it clean at the desired volume and had my pedals doing the tone shaping.

It was ok.

But with a tube amp I expect much more and prefer no pedals for saturation.

Classic thirty failed to deliver
like I said, played live with it for twenty years or so, never had a problem with it, never heard a complaint, but then again I rarely used any distortion, I don't really like it. It is like my guitar disappears when I turn it on? It certainly beats the hell out of my Marshall combo.

Back