Peavey Classic 30

I once was asked to back a singer at a bar in SC for a couple of songs. I plugged in my guitar and didn't even think about what the amp was. Started playing and it sounded pretty familiar. When I looked back, it was a Peavey Delta Blues, which is basically a Classic 30 with a 15 instead of a 12. It sounded good enough that the next player, who was a pro, asked me to stick around for 3 or 4 more songs.

It was a good night.

I still play my Classic 30. Its upstairs with the Strat. I had it cranked up a couple of days ago.

I have a Delta Blues. I have a lot of amps actually. I'd put it in the class of Blues Jrs and such as far as the front end. Having gain and master volume lets you dial in some fizz. What I like about the Peavey is you can bypass the gain/ master volume and its just a straight up Volume/tone. It's a sonic flavor for sure. I still end up with the Ampeg Gemeni VI

Interesting...... I hadn't thought about this line of guitar amplifiers in a loooong time. I owned and gigged regularly with several of the Classic 50 2x12 combos all throughout the mid and late 90's. Man, that was such a fun time. My last rig with those.... I ran a stereo signal to two of these.... one was tweed and the other black - they were identical except for the color. I would spread them out stage left and stage right for the biggest stereo sound possible. Kinda dumb now that I think about it.... but it was a big sound. I'm remembering that rig as I sit here and write this.... I didn't use any effects with those amps other than the Alesis verb/chorus unit that split the signal to stereo. Everything was the built in overdrive from the amps - and volume and tone knobs on the guitar. Although I did have a wah on the floor as I recall - but that was it. A very simple but huge sounding setup.

Just rambling here. Thanks for the walk down memory lane. I hadn't thought about that in a very long time. Thinking about that rig and the music I was playing at the time brings back pleasant memories.

PorterHouse, hopefully your back survived hauling TWO Classic 50s around, although they were only the 2x12s. I think the 4x10s add a few extra pounds, plus they just seemed to be more awkward to toss around, about the same as a Super Reverb.

I remember the days when we were strong and young!

PorterHouse, hopefully your back survived hauling TWO Classic 50s around, although they were only the 2x12s. I think the 4x10s add a few extra pounds, plus they just seemed to be more awkward to toss around, about the same as a Super Reverb.

My bad back today may be the result of that Ampeg VT22 from so long ago lol. I remember when I could throw it on my shoulder and run across the street while hanging on to it with one arm. Alas, my youth is spent, the magics gone, someone tell me where I went wrong?

Interesting...... I hadn't thought about this line of guitar amplifiers in a loooong time. I owned and gigged regularly with several of the Classic 50 2x12 combos all throughout the mid and late 90's. Man, that was such a fun time. My last rig with those.... I ran a stereo signal to two of these.... one was tweed and the other black - they were identical except for the color. I would spread them out stage left and stage right for the biggest stereo sound possible. Kinda dumb now that I think about it.... but it was a big sound. I'm remembering that rig as I sit here and write this.... I didn't use any effects with those amps other than the Alesis verb/chorus unit that split the signal to stereo. Everything was the built in overdrive from the amps - and volume and tone knobs on the guitar. Although I did have a wah on the floor as I recall - but that was it. A very simple but huge sounding setup.

Just rambling here. Thanks for the walk down memory lane. I hadn't thought about that in a very long time. Thinking about that rig and the music I was playing at the time brings back pleasant memories.
There was a period in my career where I used two amps on stage. A pro reverb for rhythm and an Ampeg VT 22 for lead and switch back and forth between them. It was sweet but it wasn't fun and I didn't do it for long.

Yep - fortunately I was in my 20's most of that period.

Sounds like this is for bedroom playing since you are concerned about your mom. Do you plan to play with a band or other places besides your bedroom or some other place in the house? If the answer is no I personally wouldn't buy anything over 15 watts. I have two 50 watters but the amp I play the most is my 15 watt practice amp at home. It's loud enough to hurt my ears and could still piss off your mom.

Sounds like this is for bedroom playing since you are concerned about your mom. Do you plan to play with a band or other places besides your bedroom or some other place in the house? If the answer is no I personally wouldn't buy anything over 15 watts. I have two 50 watters but the amp I play the most is my 15 watt practice amp at home. It's loud enough to hurt my ears and could still piss off your mom.
My mother was deathly afraid of snakes. At about five I thought it would be fun to put a garter snake in the dish closet. That got me in a little more trouble than ever cranking my amps up.

A few days ago, I got together with two guys that I used to play music with almost 50 years ago. One of the subjects that came up was how tolerant our parents were when we practiced in the basement. As the drummer said, we somehow thought that we had to practice at full volume. He said his dad told him that a crack in the ceiling showed up after the bass player fired up his YBA3. I remember one of the parents saying that the pictures on the wall were rotating as we played our music.

That's Rock and Roll for you!

Me and my brothers were lucky to have cool parents that would leave the house when we practiced... always at gig volume because my one brother was a heavy handed drummer and we had to over power him with our guitars ;-). When we practiced at my buddys house his next door neighbor later told him that they thought they might have to move. That's definitely rock and roll.

I've owned classic 30's and 50's both and achieved fantastic tones out of them. Those amps take some focused knob tweaking to sound really good but it is in them. My favorite peavey tube amp is the 25 watt Bravo and the higher watt version the 40 watt Triumph. They are kind of hard to find now days.
Those amps were made in the 1980s and tubed and wired with a simular layout to Messa Boogie amps. The pre-gain is stellar in them in my opinion.

The tubes are mounted in these amps sideways, instead of hanging down, and are covered by a plate with the tube names printed on it. So, it's not obvious that it's a tube amp when you look in the back of it. I bought a bravo for less that $200 a while back...seller thought it was a run of the mill solid state amp.

Here is a recording of my les paul straight onto the bravo amp at low volume with a good bit of pre-gain:

Listen to The Blues Had A Baby Remix by jimistone on #SoundCloud

Last edited:
Back