PCIe or Firewire???

AhlProductions

Which interface would be a better buy in the Long run? PCIe or Firewire?

I purchased a new MacPro Tower and I feel a bit uneasy because I don't know if should have bought the laptop instead. The only difference between the laptop and the tower is the PCIe availibility in the back. Does that feature outweight the benefits of using a handy laptop when it comes to sound quality?

I could have used a firewire interface with the laptop. Is there a difference, and if so, how big of a difference between using a dedicated card as opposed to a firewire cable?

An answer to this question would definitly help me relax??Thankyou everybody

-FOLK

there's a lot more difference than that. you have the option to have a shitload more RAM than in the laptop...a better video card...ANY pci or pcie cards you want to install (maybe you'll want a dsp card in the future??)

you can internally install a hard drive which would cost a lot less (and be faster) than using a firewire hard drive or buying a regular hard drive and enclosure

you have the option of picking the display of your liking...and again, the ability to upgrade....

you didnt make a bad choice...

I agree with all of this, although it could be argued...

orksnork said:
(maybe you'll want a dsp card in the future??)

You can get firewire DSP.

orksnork said:
you have the option of picking the display of your liking...and again, the ability to upgrade....

You can plug any display to a laptop, and with the Macbook Pro, you can even use the big'ol 30" display.

Im not saying a Tower is a bad option, but only get it if you dont need to move your things around...

orksnork said:
i was just trying to make it sound a bit sweeter..still a better choice imho

I know you were and your points are all valid. I have the luxury of both a new MacBook Pro and a G5 PPC (1st generation). The tower performs at a much higher level. But as you say- if portability is a criteria, then the decisions
become more complicated.

AhlProductions said:

For an audio interface? FireWire. Definitely. The reason for this is that PCIe, like all internal buses, is inherently not adaptable to future standards.

What I mean by this is that if you had bought a PCI card a couple of years ago, you would be throwing it out because it won't work with your Mac Pro. You could adapt it with a $1500 expansion chassis, but that wouldn't make sense unless you had a huge investment in existing PCI hardware.

When PCIe gets phased out in a few years, chances are that it will be just as hard to connect use PCIe card in those future machines as it is to adapt a PCI card for use in a PCIe machine now.

By contrast, you can get FireWire cards for PCIe just like you can for PCI. Chances are probably reasonably good that you'll be able to get a FireWire card for whatever replaces PCIe.

AhlProductions said:
I purchased a new MacPro Tower and I feel a bit uneasy because I don't know if should have bought the laptop instead. The only difference between the laptop and the tower is the PCIe availibility in the back. Does that feature outweight the benefits of using a handy laptop when it comes to sound quality?

The hard drive performance difference between a laptop and a desktop is huge. IMHO, you made the right call. For recording, you can't beat a tower, but not because of the slots. Oh, and the CPU in the Mac Pro is significantly better than the one in the laptops. It's a 64-bit chip, for one thing....

A couple of thoughts

Just wanted to mention a couple of things.... In ways you should buy certain gear, such as computers and basic computer based stuff knowing that it will eventually be obsolete... This is true whether it be obsolete because of hardware of software... I run my stuff on a PC... About two years or so ago, I bought a pci based M-audio setup with the omni breakout box... Yes, technically pci is now almost obsolete... Would I buy a pci based system now, no... But it was a great purshase for me at the time...Gave me many options, flexability, etc., for the time period that it will be in use...This interface will probably be used for another 2-3 years... Is this a good use for 250 dollars? Yes, in my circumstances it definitely was...I feel like I got my moneys worth over a year ago and anything past that will be icing on the cake... I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't make smart decisions... I don't think that buying a pci-e or firewire card would dissapoint you in any way... I wouldn't suggest Usb though (no offense to those of you who have made good use of a usb interface)... In ways, I would consider the firewire though, simply because it seems that you have a desire to have a laptop for portable recording and then you could use the same interface for both... Just a couple of thoughts late in the morning, maybe not as coherent as normal, but nevertheless..........

AhlProductions said:
W

I could have used a firewire interface with the laptop. Is there a difference, and if so, how big of a difference between using a dedicated card as opposed to a firewire cable?
-FOLK

and obviously, you can still use firewire with the tower

im sure there are firewire ports on the mactower...and if not...it's just that easy to buy a card...

AhlProductions said:

An answer to this question would definitly help me relax??Thankyou everybody

-FOLK

I think you are having anxiety about issues that don't apply.

First, which interface would be better in the long run? This totally depends on how you are using your computer, the other equipment you'll be connecting to it. The part of that question that really does not apply is the concept of "long run". The only way to buy equipment is to fill the need you have today. So if the PCI card is the best thing for you right now today, on the computer you are using right now today, then you are making the right choice.

Second, why are you concerned about using firewire with a laptop that you did not buy? That doesn't make sense to me. You bought a desktop, which has a lot more going for it over a laptop than just the PCI slots. One of the advantages of the desktop is that it *does* have PCIe slots.

As far as sound quality, a good PCIe interface and a good firewire interface will probably sound just about as good as each other. But that's not where the advantage of PCIe lies. The real advantage is that you get *far* better data throughput using PCI cards than firewire. The other advantage is that it is *in addition to* any gear you have on the firewire port.

A problem that is happening these days is that people are overloading their firewire ports. For example, if you have a few hard drives, then add something like an SSL Duende, you are really at or beyond your limit as far as how much data the firewire buss can handle.

With a desktop that has PCIe slots, you can also give more firewire capability to your computer by adding a PCIe firewire card. So you can add more firewire by utilizing a PCI slot. This is a great thing.

So in my opinion, for serious audio and recording work, a desktop is far better than having a laptop. I have both, but I need both for my work. At home I use my desktop and PCI audio interfaces. I also have laptop for when I need to do notation projects on site somewhere, or play live gigs. But I bought the desktop first, and will always have a desktop for the heavy lifting.

I don't think you should have any regrets about choosing a desktop, or going with a PCIe card audio interface. There are real advantages to both. Just my opinion.

The way I look at is I don't care if PCI will someday become obsolete. My PCI based RME system sounds better and works better than any other firewire system that I've tried. And I've tried a few all in similar price range with each other. It may be just my personal experiences, but I do not regret or plan on switching to firewire any time soon. Use what works for you. Hopefully you get it right the first time not like me. :)

You are always better off purchasing an externally connected module that runs over a standard wired interface. This way, only software is needed to bring it up to date, or to support a standards feature enhancement.

Either Firewire, or USB 2.0 High Speet are ample for home recording. Both are about the same speed. In fact, I believe USB 2.0 High Speed has higher transfer rates. However, this can be misleading since the protocol itself can really make or break an interface like this. I mean, if one protocol loses data more and has to retry sending, then even with a higher rating, the truth of the matter is its working harder to get data through so it will take longer.

However, I believe both Firewire, and USB 2.0 High Speed are pretty solid and arguing which is faster is really just splitting hairs. You may be able to get 1 more track recording simultaneously over Firewire than with USB 2.0 High Speed. I am only speculating about the above statement because Firewire was actually designed for media oriented apps, whereas USB was a general purpose replacement for RS232 with a higher speed hardwired interface and ** man did they screw that up **. I cannot for the life of me understand why they didn't support seamless hub to hub connection over USB. For gosh sakes, one can do that with RS232 and USB was suppose to be ancestor of RS232. Someone should get fired for that decision. Now, there is nothing more painful than trying to connect two hubs over USB. Now we are all forced to use RS232 *still* or ethernet, which in many cases opens up security issues. As I said, these guys really dropped the ball on this one.

Sorry for the vent session.

Back