PC Speaker going off like a siren

JamesFarquhar

I am running Sonar 3 Producer Edition. Currently I have a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Live until I get an Audiophile.I have an Athlon 2000+ with 256 megs of ram Running Windows Xp. After a few minutes of running Sonar my pc speaker starts ringing out like a siren i thought of unplugging it but then i realized it may be trying to tell me something. Any ideas ?

I know, I know loose the sound blaster and believe i am working on it. LOL

My guess is that it has nothing to do with Sonar. Sounds like a heat alarm or something. Are you monitoring the CPU temperature? What's it running at? Athlons are known to run pretty hot. Is it a new system?

JamesFarquhar said:
After a few minutes of running Sonar my pc speaker starts ringing out like a siren i thought of unplugging it but then i realized it may be trying to tell me something.
It means you are stressing the soundcard too much. You can try to raise the latency under Options -> Audio.

The pc is fairly new and i have a large cooling fan so the cpu is relativly cool as far as cpu's go.

I dont see how it is stressing the sound card all i've done so far is play a simple midi drum loop. I'm saying you're wrong Moskus so could you shed a little more light in this for me

JamesFarquhar said:
[BI'm saying you're wrong Moskus[/B]
Okay, so what is your latency set to? Maybe you stress the computer trying to keep the latency low enough.

And what "PC speaker" are we talking about, the little beep-thing? If it is, then my bet is on Dachay. Maybe something/someone have set your CPU Heat alarm to a too low value?

Does it only happen when you use Sonar?

Currently the latency is 100.00 msec
by pc speaker i mean the little speaker that is inside the computer case. i will go check the cpu safety settings it very well be set to low

Hmmm... what happens when you disable the playback of the Metronome via the PC speaker?

Options -> Project -> Metronome and uncheck "Use PC speaker" if it's activated.

And what is the temperature when the alarm is going off?

If it's not that I'm guessing hardware failure somewhere...

I still believe it is some type of BIOS alarm. There's nothing that I know of in Sonar (or in Windows, for that matter) that should cause this behavior.

Check the manual for your motherboard and see what other alarms it has.

Also, you might want to double check the settings for the heat alarm. Often there are several settings. One for case temperature and another for CPU temperature. Also, sometimes there are two settings for an item, one for the alarm and another for shutdown.

Hey guys, I have a similar problem.

Just build up my new computer this weekend (specs below), and installed Sonar 3 Producer Edition. When I open Sonar, after a few seconds a lot of noises (not a siren, but noises, like some scratched LP) starts to come from my speakers (kinda creepy, mind you).

It's nothing related to heat, because I've double-checked it and I have two fans, and I don't even need to open a project! If I hit 'cancel' on the project selection screen the noises starts anyway!

This problem happens only with Sonar, so I tried re-installing it, but the problem persists. Does anybody have any idea?

Computer specs:
---------------
Athlon XP 2.4
512 Mb RAM
HD 40 Gb 7200
Sounblaster Live! 5.1 Platinum
Windows XP Professional (in Portuguese)

That's a strange one, Fernando. Have you tried a different driver for the SB Live?

Also, if you are using it in WDM mode, you might want to try ASIO mode to see if that clears it up.

Mike, sorry for the stupid question, but I'm a complete dumb in these drivers stuff. I don't even know the difference between ASIO and WDM (looked for some reading, but couldn't find anything clear).

How do I change from WDM to ASIO?

Thanks!

BloodShark said:
When I open Sonar, after a few seconds a lot of noises (not a siren, but noises, like some scratched LP) starts to come from my speakers (kinda creepy, mind you).
That happens to me to, and only with WDM-drivers. Cakewalk Support says "we're looking into it".

To change from WDM to ASIO, go to Options -> Audio -> Advanced and choose ASIO in the drop-down box.

You guys using SB Live! with ASIO? You need special driver to do so...

Anyway, don't forget to check the motherboard's chipset. If it's VIA, then you better install VIA Hyperion 4 in 1 driver to avoid noises with SB Live! (or any creative's card)...

;)
Jaymz

Back