PC Gurus... where's my files?

Booda

Master of the Obvious
Has anyone else encountered this situation...
(I can give more info if anyone wants it but I'll keep this to the point)

My Files don't show up but the space is still occupied

My OS (Vista) went MIA
-the Drive is partioned C:\OS and Programs D:\ my Files and Docs
-I Formatted C: and reinstalled Vista (works fine)
-my D:\ drive (partition) is only showing a few files (250Mb worth but I had 4Gb worth of files) the properties of that D:\ shows the same amount of space being used as before I Formatted and reinstalled Vista (4Gb worth).

So I knew my files were still there
-I downloaded a file recovery program (EASEUS Partition Master)
-It worked Awesomely! I was able to get back some important files (4Gb worth) I really didn't want to lose.

So can anyone tell me what's going on?
-I've been building and fixing my own PCs (& family & friends) since Win95 and have never had this or seen this happen. I know when it's just a partitioned drive anything can happen to the other partitions... but why would the space still show as being used w/ the files still there but the files do not show up in Windows?

Thanks for any ideas or answers,
B.

Update:

Just thought I'd post a quick follow up... Since I got back the Files I really didn't want to lose I did a Scan Disk or Disk Check... it recovered some (Many) orphaned files, deleted quite a few index entries, and corrected errors in the master file table ect...

So then most of My Files showed back up on the D: partition. The ones I really needed showed up... some other are still missing. Anyhow, it was cool using the File Recovery tool even though, in the end, I didn't need to... But how was I to know... better safe than sorry.

This whole thing is still a mystery too me... maybe I'll call up Shaggy and Scooby...

B.

Back