PC for sound mixing

luizfvpereira

Hi there

I'm thinking about building a PC for video editing along with sound mixing. I have some ideas about what I should get for the video editing part however I'm not even close to understand the hardware for audio mixing and mastering. If anyone could help I would appreciate.

here are the components I thought for the video requirements:

i7 4770
Asrock B85M Pro4
XFX 450w
G.E.I.L. 16GB 1600-999 EVO LEGGERA LP
Cooler Master N200 (Black

what would you keep and what would you change?

Thank you for the time spent reading this.
Luís Pereira

Anything you get for video will be more than enough for audio. Audio doesn't require a whole lot of computing power.

Don't forget your video card for video editing. I didn't see that in the list.

I am no PC guru by ANY means but I have picked up a few things over the years...

Certainly that specc' will run a ton of audio but there is more to a good audio computer than horsepower. You have to ensure that nothing, but nothing! Interrupts the audio data stream. Things that can are..

Internal soundcard. Disable in BIOS.

Windows sounds, the infernal bleeps and boings. Disable them in Sounds (set for No Sounds)

Wireless hardware. Disable in "Services"

Any CPU "throttling" app' i.e. something that controls the CPU power draw. Not likely on a desktop system but in these "green" times you never know!

Anti-virus software. I use Msoft SE on 4 computers and it never intrudes but get rid of any Norton or other ***t that came with the MOBO install disc.

450W PSU seems a bit lightweight these days if, as Tim advises you get multiple HDDs. It is also pretty cheap and might be noisy? While on drives. SSD for the main "C" drive? Doesn't have to be monstrous but peeps say they are bloody fast!

Audio Interface. You will need one and a PCIe would be a tidy solution. Trouble is there are few to chose from, good ones are expensive and you would still need an external Monitor Controller or mixer to handle ins and outs. Can I therefore steer you onto the Native Instruments Komplete Audio6? This will give you 4 independent line outs assignable to a nice big volume knob (not going nuts and mixing for 5.1 are you?) and is about a bombproof/reliable as interfaces get.

Just my humble offerings.....

Dave.

Back