PC Build

Houda

CPU: Intel Core i3 2120 @ $122 (ST/MSY)
MOBO: Asrock B75M @ $65 (ST) $68 (MSY)
RAM: Kingston 4GB 133Mhz DDR3 @ $27 ST
(plan to buy another one later on so I have 2x4GB, if i find that i need it)
HDD: Hitachi Deskstar 7200rpm 500G @69 {ST/MSY]
SSD: Unsure which, most likely the intel or sandisk that got for $99
GPU: N/A (Will get one down the track)
Case + PSU: Thermaltake V3 Black edition w/450W PSU @69 MSY

Its a pretty budget build. Think it would meet the requirements? Il be recording acoustic guitar + vocals through a ni komplete audio 6 *unless i change my mind havent bought the interface yet*
Il probobly be using Reaper if that has anything to do with it.

Hi there.
The i3 may be fine for your applications, but you should know it's only marginally faster than some of the core2quad chips, like the q6600.

If i was building a new machine, I'd definitely be aiming at high i5, or a used i7.
It'll last much better.

Well, like I say, it comes down to your needs.
What would your average track count/effect count be like?

What's your current machine spec, and is it struggling?

I bought an i5 mac book pro and while it is fine, part of me wishes I'd gone with an i7 mini.

I'm new to recording so i havent gotten into it yet to know how many tracks. I wouldnt think there would be too many, two for guitar? possible 3? and i suppose 1-3 for vocal depending on what kinda song and if there is backing.

My current machine is a i3 hp laptop that overheats like crazy. I don't have a desktop pc and am currently using a school laptop which i have to return end of the year. So if i dont manage to fix my laptop il have nothing basically.

Ok, It's kinda hard to say then.

The session in my sig (pete gardiner - songs at sunset) is an acoustic singer songwriter session.
The backing and extra bits are sparse and unobtrusive (I think) but I ended up using about 54 tracks in total.

I almost don't believe that as i type it, but I have the session open in front of me.lol.

Ok, a handful are aux tracks, and many of them are instrument tracks for strings and things like that, so if that's a road you want to go down, I'd save and push for better.

If you think you'll literally track a few guitar tracks and a few vocals tracks and end up bouncing a sub 10 track mix, then you're probably good enough to go.

Wow... that is quite alot of tracks. I suppose i'l save up enough to get a better cpu and motherboard then. Just have to wait and see I guess.

Back