Paypal question

fraserhutch

Flypaper for freaks
Could someone experienced with using paypal please correct me if my understanding is incorrect here?

Payments between two individuals incur no fees if the buyer is using funds in from a verified account

Payments between two individuals incur 4.9% fees if the buyer is paying through a credit card. I assume that this is though his/her paypal account? And that the seller incurs these fees.

Could anyone elaborate?

Thanks!

fraserhutch said:
Could someone experienced with using paypal please correct me if my understanding is incorrect here?

Payments between two individuals incur no fees if the buyer is using funds in from a verified account

Payments between two individuals incur 4.9% fees if the buyer is paying through a credit card. I assume that this is though his/her paypal account? And that the seller incurs these fees.

Could anyone elaborate?

Thanks!

Not necessarily.

There is no fee for sending Paypal to Paypal account IF the recipient has a personal account. Personal accounts are VERY limited in how they can receive credit card payments:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-fees

Once you upgrade to a premier or business account, you pay a fee on every incoming transaction, whether eCheck, credit card, or Paypal transfer.

Paypal takes the fee from the payment received by the seller.

The fee is more like 3%. I believe it's actually 30cents no matter what, plus 2.9% or 3% or something like that. It's more for international transactions, at 4%...I believe. It's definitely not 5%.

If you have a business or premier account the charge is 2.9% + $0.30. They have a chart on their website explaining all the fees.

Nicole

Thanks for the info all. I did read their page, but was a little confused as to the wording in their fees page:

Under Presonal Account:
Receive payments funded by Credit Card, Debit Card or Buyer Credit

4.9% + $0.30 USD (limit of 5 transactions per 12 month period)**

4.9% plus $0.30 USD for card payments received using PayPal on Skype

It does not indicate whether the buyer using a credit card is using a personal account. So am I safe to assume that if the buyer buying something from me is using a verified personal account I will nto incur any fees?

fraserhutch said:
Thanks for the info all. I did read their page, but was a little confused as to the wording in their fees page:

Under Presonal Account:
Receive payments funded by Credit Card, Debit Card or Buyer Credit

4.9% + $0.30 USD (limit of 5 transactions per 12 month period)**

4.9% plus $0.30 USD for card payments received using PayPal on Skype

It does not indicate whether the buyer using a credit card is using a personal account. So am I safe to assume that if the buyer buying something from me is using a verified personal account I will nto incur any fees?

It doesn't matter what kind of account the buyer has, just the seller. A buyer doesn't even have to have an account to send you a credit card payment, but you would pay a fee in that case. But a buyer with any type of account could send you a Paypal transfer, and if you have a personal account, there is no fee.

well, I am trying to complete a transaction with another buyer now, who is NOT using a credit card, and PayPal wants to charge me $36 for a $1200 transaction. Something about a $500 a month limit?

I didn't see anywhere in the fee schedule anything that mentions this.

This is exactly what I hate about paypal. So I went to investigate getting a premier account, and nowhere could I find information as what it costs.

fraserhutch said:
well, I am trying to complete a transaction with another buyer now, who is NOT using a credit card, and PayPal wants to charge me $36 for a $1200 transaction. Something about a $500 a month limit?

I didn't see anywhere in the fee schedule anything that mentions this.

This is exactly what I hate about paypal. So I went to investigate getting a premier account, and nowhere could I find information as what it costs.

I didn't see that on the fee schedule either, but after digging a bit, it seems that personal accounts have a $500 per month limit on receiving cash (for goods or auction items, it says).

It doesn't cost anything to upgrade to a premier account, it's just that you'll pay a fee on every incoming transaction after that. The $36 is the normal $0.30 + 2.9% fee for premier accounts.

Back