Paypal being nosey???

chris-from-ky

Hi. To all you paypal users out there. Does Paypal call you when your transactions aren't linked to an Ebay auction? They wanted to know what I sold and where I sold it and asked me if I had tracking numbers, but didn't ask for the specific numbers. Is this a practice you're familiar with???

I don't think it's their business!!!!

It seems kind of odd, but they might be trying to protect themselves against claims, in case you turn out to be a scammer (from their point of view). It might help if you get Paypal verified.

Also make sure it isn't somebody phishing, I assume they had transaction details that would prove who they were?

Yeah that is very odd. I would not answer their questions. It's also possible that it's not really Paypal calling. Be very careful. Get verified, and then simply tell the caller that you are not comfortable giving out any information because the scams with Paypal are so many and so poorly protected against by their service.

Reactions: apl
I know they'll call someone if there's a dispute, but I think that's just to get the other side of the story. They'd already have the transaction details and it would be an ebay item.

chris-from-ky said:
Hi. To all you paypal users out there. Does Paypal call you when your transactions aren't linked to an Ebay auction? They wanted to know what I sold and where I sold it and asked me if I had tracking numbers, but didn't ask for the specific numbers. Is this a practice you're familiar with???

No, they shouldnt call. I have done many transactions via Paypal that were not linked to Ebay, and I have never got a call from them. If you asked me, it sounds like someone was trying to get your information. Did you give them any personal information? Either way, I wouldnt tell them shit. Because for one, it could quite possibly be a scammer, and two, you're right, its none of their fucking business. If they call again, don't tell them nothing.

The extent of what I told them was "I went to a forum called HR.com and posted my gear for sale and people with paypal bought from me and I have already shipped and sent tracking info." I didn't tell them anything about me personally. Do you think they just wanted to confirm my phone number or something. Man, I don't want to get scammed but, I didn't want them to kick me out of paypal so, that's why I did tell them that much. I didn't ask them to verify the transaction details. That's a good idea. Next time I'll tell them to buzz off.

By the way, I am a verified Paypal user so, they can't use that as an excuse.

chris-from-ky said:

I do all my transactions by just sending a PayPal invoice (not linked to ebay). After about my 3rd transaction, they called me, my cell phone has them listed so I knew it was PayPal and just didn't answer the call. They called about 3 times that day and I didn't answer any of them. I haven't heard from them since and my account is in good shape.
They just are nosey people.

Man, I've never been called by them. I've done many transactions via eBay, but also do many aside from eBay.

Maybe they don't care about me and that makes me kinda sad :eek:

Actually, (knock on wood) I've had no problems whatsoever with them for that past few years. They don't bother me, and I keep making them and me money.

I just got my first call from paypal a few days ago (Im not really sure why but...), I didn't answer it and they have not called back. I did get an email titled "Annual Privacy and Electronic Fund Transfer Rights Notice" so I figured maybe they were calling to say something about this.

I just got a call yesterday. They were just verifying all the purchaces I made on my paypal debit cad. I didn't think anything of it, it seemed like some sort of anti-fraud measure.

Farview said:
I just got a call yesterday. They were just verifying all the purchaces I made on my paypal debit cad. I didn't think anything of it, it seemed like some sort of anti-fraud measure.

Really? I use my PP debit card all the time. They have never contacted me. I'm telling you, they don't care about me! :D

warble said:
Really? I use my PP debit card all the time. They have never contacted me. I'm telling you, they don't care about me! :D
It says 'toll free call' on your caller ID. Most of the time I don't answer these calls, they could have been calling for months.

The phone number for paypal is :402-935-2050. The number that appears on my caller id is 402-935-7733. When I called it back, the prerecorded voice thing was paypal. I called both numbers and they sound identical. It must just be them being nosey. I won't answer them next time.

they called me once after I bought about ~1000 worth of various stuff within a few days. Anti-fraud measure... to tell you the truth I was glad to know they were looking out.

Paypal being nosey??

I've never heard of paypal callling anyone at home. Don't tell them anything. Call them instead & find out if they did actually call you. Phishing emails are rampant. Paypal will never ask you for account info or credit card or bank info in an email. If you get one of these, or you're not sure, just forward it to spoof@paypal.com. Same with ebay. Emails about anti-fraud measures seeking to verify account info, or saying you've been locked out of your account are bullshit. Forward them to spoof@ebay.com. They will answer you. At the very least, they should be made aware of these scumbags. Y'know....until we have a way to find out where these shitbags are trying to fuck us from & go there ourselves & kill them.

When they called me, they were reading the transactions to me asking me to varify them. My bank does the same thing when I do something out of the ordinary with my debit card. My other credit card companies have done this as well. A couple months ago I bought a $3000 computer, $500 worth of LCD monitors, 2 SM81's, 2 20 space racks, and the Nuendo 3 upgrade inside of 48 hours. I was glad that the credit card company noticed and called up to verify. This really is just standard operating procedure.

Farview said:
When they called me, they were reading the transactions to me asking me to varify them. My bank does the same thing when I do something out of the ordinary with my debit card. My other credit card companies have done this as well. A couple months ago I bought a $3000 computer, $500 worth of LCD monitors, 2 SM81's, 2 20 space racks, and the Nuendo 3 upgrade inside of 48 hours. I was glad that the credit card company noticed and called up to verify. This really is just standard operating procedure.

The big red flag is buying something cheap (under $10) at a gas station or similar, then buying something for $2000 or more online. That's a common profile for fraud---somebody steals a card and takes it to a gas station to see if it is valid (where they can pay at the pump without revealing their identity), then upon finding that it is valid, use it to spend lots of money....

Back