patch bay having issues... please help!!!

lucyring

the other day, my patch bay seemed to have started glitching. its a DBX pb 48. it doesn't seem to be happening with my preamps, but my Distressor and 1176 are picking up fairly high signals just be being plugged into the patch... meaning... even when I'm not routing them in the chain, they are lighting up like they're getting a fairly heavy input. has anyone had this issue or anything like it or know what to do? much appreciate the help.
thanks

thanks... I don't think it's either actually. the company just wrote back and said it might be a bad connection inside the patch... which is them basically saying time to spend another 150$ and get a new one. eh... it lasted like 7 years. can't really complain.

And how many times have you cleaned It? I remember this job very well, part of every new technicians routine in broadcast radio, especially because people smoked, and now people vape, it’s relevant again. Canford in the U.K. made a fake plug that had holes so you could pop it in, squirt the cleaning fluid in and spin, opening the contacts, and slushing the muck out.

As patch bays are passive devices, dirty contacts are inevitable, and if the worst is in the switching contacts, then you need to take them out and clean them. That is all DBX will do. Swabs, wipes, isopropyl and time. It’s not hard, just a pain, and you must label every cable or it becomes a nightmare. Your not supposed to put mics through patch bays, but I have done it a few times and although I can’t be certain, I wonder if phantom power tarnishes the contacts by some electrolytic action on contacts that might have humidity damped surfaces? They seem to need cleaning more often? Just an observation . I moved to XLR patches and they’ve always been fine and reliable. Line level patching is a hundred years old, so cleaning well understood. The technique of sticking a jack in and doing an in/out sequence as fast as you can, then a squirt, then repeat and repeat is daily duty for many studios. Contact cleaning is annoying.

if you are getting extra high levels, that’s not cleaning, they are being generated somewhere, so you have to be systematic in your fault finding or you will get in a real mess. No way you are getting phantom power into places it shouldn’t go?

it really just means starting with the source and hard wiring to designation. If that works, then replace the path to the patch, then from the patch until you tie it down. If you send the patch bay away, what if the fault is elsewhere?

And how many times have you cleaned It? I remember this job very well, part of every new technicians routine in broadcast radio, especially because people smoked, and now people vape, it’s relevant again. Canford in the U.K. made a fake plug that had holes so you could pop it in, squirt the cleaning fluid in and spin, opening the contacts, and slushing the muck out.

As patch bays are passive devices, dirty contacts are inevitable, and if the worst is in the switching contacts, then you need to take them out and clean them. That is all DBX will do. Swabs, wipes, isopropyl and time. It’s not hard, just a pain, and you must label every cable or it becomes a nightmare. Your not supposed to put mics through patch bays, but I have done it a few times and although I can’t be certain, I wonder if phantom power tarnishes the contacts by some electrolytic action on contacts that might have humidity damped surfaces? They seem to need cleaning more often? Just an observation . I moved to XLR patches and they’ve always been fine and reliable. Line level patching is a hundred years old, so cleaning well understood. The technique of sticking a jack in and doing an in/out sequence as fast as you can, then a squirt, then repeat and repeat is daily duty for many studios. Contact cleaning is annoying.

if you are getting extra high levels, that’s not cleaning, they are being generated somewhere, so you have to be systematic in your fault finding or you will get in a real mess. No way you are getting phantom power into places it shouldn’t go?

it really just means starting with the source and hard wiring to designation. If that works, then replace the path to the patch, then from the patch until you tie it down. If you send the patch bay away, what if the fault is elsewhere?
thanks for this thoughtful reply. I have no idea what's going on but I really don't think it's an issue solved by cleaning. all the preamps seem to be working fine. it's my Distressor and 1176.... they are picking up a really hot signal at a relatively low input. I think its gotta be something with the digital motherboard of the DBX but it's driving me nuts. I can't understand why. and I live in Baja, Mexico and have to drive like 5 hours each way if I want to get a new patch bay. really annoying. I feel like there's got to be a way to run the pre amp and compressors without the patch but I'm getting super confused trying to work it out. ugh

thanks for this thoughtful reply. I have no idea what's going on but I really don't think it's an issue solved by cleaning. all the preamps seem to be working fine. it's my Distressor and 1176.... they are picking up a really hot signal at a relatively low input. I think its gotta be something with the digital motherboard of the DBX but it's driving me nuts. I can't understand why. and I live in Baja, Mexico and have to drive like 5 hours each way if I want to get a new patch bay. really annoying. I feel like there's got to be a way to run the pre amp and compressors without the patch but I'm getting super confused trying to work it out. ugh
On your patch bay, if your contacts are clean, if there’s no loss of continuity, no shorts, and your cables are good, there should be no problem.

All a patchbay does is allow you to access an audio line. Maybe something else is wrong?

The patch bay is totally passive. Its only possible problem is the contacts. They cannot increase levels, only decrease them. However, they can do one strange thing. If you have them wired to connect balanced kit to balanced kit, you have two circuits per channel, the hot and the cold. If one device is unbalanced, then at some point in the chain, the cold circuit gets grounded. If a tarnished and dirty ( or worn out) contact messes this up so you have a partially, and possible varying short, the some input devices could get a sort of half unbalanced input. Possibly this could cause instability? Unlikely I’d have thought.
seriously though, 99% of patch bay problems can be temporarily cured by a thorough fast in out routine. When I worked for the broadcasters they had thousands of patchbays in all the studio centres, and cleaning was daily, and tarnish a real enemy. If yo7 have never cleaned yours, it’s mega overdue.

you need as I said to investigate the routing you are using to the device with problems. Unplugging and replugging every connector in the chain, multiple time. At some point, the problem will stop, and that socket, cable or plug is the problem.

if your patch bay follows standard practice and is half normalled, then you have probably 12 spring contacts in every circuit the signal passes through between A and B. Distortion I have heard many times, same with crackles and fizzing noises. Never have I had increases in level. That is being done elsewhere, not in the patch.

Lucy, if you have even a very cheap Digital Multi-Meter (and if not bloody get one PDQ!) you can read signal level throughout the system. You can generate 1kHz at say -10dBFS in any DAW and play it out as a loop. Connect the -ve probe of the meter to ground, the case of the DBX say and go round the signal path until you find the problem. The only signals that won't read are those coming from a "floating balanced" transformer. Is that likely?

Dave.

Back