Parts for cassette decks

zorge55

Hi i am new here , but was wondering if anyone has an idea where to look and find a cassette door for a sony TC-R303 has a broken part in it was purchased used but just trying to fix it up .thanks for any help. Zorge55

Many, many years ago I was in the electronic service business and authorized Sony among other brands. Back then parts support was about 7-10 years depending on the company. Sony is currently using a third party company for parts distribution.

Here is the current list of parts they have available.

Sony TC-R303

I quickly looked and did see few sketch sites with service manual scans (beware of strange pop ups). If you can confirm one of the parts listed is one you need, great. Otherwise, it would be unavailable. Next option would be Ebay to purchase a parts machine.

Many, many years ago I was in the electronic service business and authorized Sony among other brands. Back then parts support was about 7-10 years depending on the company. Sony is currently using a third party company for parts distribution.

Here is the current list of parts they have available.

Sony TC-R303

I quickly looked and did see few sketch sites with service manual scans (beware of strange pop ups). If you can confirm one of the parts listed is one you need, great. Otherwise, it would be unavailable. Next option would be Ebay to purchase a parts machine.
Are you familiar with a highly viscous, clear "fluid" substance which, when applied to the cassette door hinging mechanism, slows the speed at which the door opens?

Are you familiar with a highly viscous, clear "fluid" substance which, when applied to the cassette door hinging mechanism, slows the speed at which the door opens?
Sony specific? Sony had a lot of specific service products. I still have some of the special drivers used for small camcorders that just fit where SAE drivers are sloppy. A lot of the metric is ISO.

A number of door mechanisms had a cylinder/piston damper that used a silicone grease. Or a gear/friction washer damper.

I used to buy a lot of supplies from MCM Electronics. They are now Newark but still have chemicals and lubes.

I can't say if this was Sony specific. I had a buddy who was an electronics repair tech for Sears back in the 70's-80's. I was in his shop and he showed me a cassette deck he was working on. He pressed a button to open the door and it flew open with a bang. Then he pulled out a small bottle of what looked like clear water, but the "water" didn't move when the bottle was tipped. He used a toothpick to apply a small drop to the bottom corners at the door's hinges and closed the door. He opened the door again and it glided very slowly to the open position. It's always puzzled me as to what this stuff was. I kind of assumed it was widely used.

I can't say if this was Sony specific. I had a buddy who was an electronics repair tech for Sears back in the 70's-80's. I was in his shop and he showed me a cassette deck he was working on. He pressed a button to open the door and it flew open with a bang. Then he pulled out a small bottle of what looked like clear water, but the "water" didn't move when the bottle was tipped. He used a toothpick to apply a small drop to the bottom corners at the door's hinges and closed the door. He opened the door again and it glided very slowly to the open position. It's always puzzled me as to what this stuff was. I kind of assumed it was widely used.
Damping grease aka high friction grease. McMaster Carr or Amazon if you search high friction grease. Higher end equipment had mechanical dampers.

Holy crap is McMaster overcharging but it was the same way when you bought manufacturer specific products. Being authorized to do warranty work required specific products, test gear and training. Shop was authorized for a lot of various brands. Each one had their peculiarities.

Screen Shot 03-19-22 at 09.29 PM.JPG

Holy crap! That's the same size as the one I found for $19.99 on Amazon. I understand about warranty procedures, having to use required OEM stuff.

Hi i am new here , but was wondering if anyone has an idea where to look and find a cassette door for a sony TC-R303 has a broken part in it was purchased used but just trying to fix it up .thanks for any help. Zorge55
eBay has a couple units you could use for parts, but the shipping is almost as much as the deck.

Back