PA System

Depends on what you call a "small venue." If you mean a piano bar or small supper club then yes it should be enough. If you mean a regular bar or club where people tend to get a little loud then the answer is maybe. If you mean a rock bar, forget it, you'll need more than that for your monitors.

That is pretty tiny... I use a larger PA in my living room for band practice. For basic annoucements at a bingo hall or acoustic coffee shop gigs, you're probably okay. Any more, I would look to some of the powered speakers like the JBL EONs and Mackies. They make the whole crossover/poweramp matching problem non-existant and you can just string 1000 of them together as you grow, use them as monitors, use them as little PAs for the coffee shop gigs. They are extremely versatile and sound great.

Peavey makes some decent PA stuff for the price. Beats the hell out of Behringer, anyway, and is just around the same price.

The first link displayed an horrible PA setup, made in CHINA for sure.
I'd go with the Peavey stuff ALL THE WAY...it's fairly priced and MADE IN THE USA. Indeed, peavey stuff is quite good IMHO.

When my band started out we went with a new pair of Peavey 8 ohm TL 5X 15" speakers and a powered mixer which puts out 200 watts/channel into 8 ohms. We also use a pair of powered 15" Carvin speakers for monitors. We have played small rooms, biggish rooms, at the D.C. Convention Center, and outdoors, and find that 200 watts for each Peavey speaker really isn't enough. In more demanding environments, like outdoors, or in a room with a fair amont of background/crowd noise and lots of people who absorb sound waves, the power amps in the mixer have occasionally shut down from thermal overload. We've started to use the Carvins as FOH, but now sometimes find ourselves with inadequate volume from the Peaveys in floor monitor mode. We don't play all that loudly (classic rock), but in retrospect I wish we had gone for a higher-powered mixer. We'll probably upgrade soon, perhaps to a A&H unit which puts out 500 watts/channel into 8 ohms, the most I've found so far in a all-in-one solution. So, if you can possibly swing it, I'd recommend going with more power from the outset - you really can't have too much, but you definitely can have too little, especially if your band finds itself gigging in larger venues or outdoors!

Alien,
man I've got two Peavey Speakers from my band's beginning that I don't use anymore. We used them about 10 times before our bass player decided he was gonna buy a butt load of JBL stuff. The JBL's cost twice as much and sound half as good.

I don't need em. I'm in Austin, TX. Where are you? I need to get rid of em and would sell them to you if you want. Email me. I have pics too. they look practically brand new. No rips, no tears, just some scratche on the grille from transport....thats the equivalent of cutting yourself playing with knives. Its gonna happen.

MattDCreel@yahoo.com

Back