Overrated.....Underrated....

I've long thought Jaco Pastorious is overrated. I'm not at all saying that he wasn't a brilliant bassist, he was. He influenced a lot of people and to a large extent, helped change modern electric bass guitar playing.
So how in the world can I say he's overrated ?
Because what he was doing was already being done by other bass players. Colin Hodgkinson of Back Door is horribly underrated. He was chording, slapping and operating simultaneously on bass as bassist, lead and rhythm guitarist before Jaco had even made a record. No one talks about him because Back Door weren't worth shit as far as sales go. Larry Graham is underrated. Yes, people do credit him as being the originator of slapping and popping. But it stops there.
I think Paul McCartney was underrated as a bassist. He's highly rated in every other area, but as an actual bass guitarist, not so much. Ironically, John Lennon was one of the first people to speak highly of him as a bass player.
Do you play bass Grim?

I've long thought Jaco Pastorious is overrated. I'm not at all saying that he wasn't a brilliant bassist, he was. He influenced a lot of people and to a large extent, helped change modern electric bass guitar playing.
So how in the world can I say he's overrated ?
Because what he was doing was already being done by other bass players. Colin Hodgkinson of Back Door is horribly underrated. He was chording, slapping and operating simultaneously on bass as bassist, lead and rhythm guitarist before Jaco had even made a record. No one talks about him because Back Door weren't worth shit as far as sales go. Larry Graham is underrated. Yes, people do credit him as being the originator of slapping and popping. But it stops there.
I think Paul McCartney was underrated as a bassist. He's highly rated in every other area, but as an actual bass guitarist, not so much. Ironically, John Lennon was one of the first people to speak highly of him as a bass player.
His beauty and melody is beyond comprehension man cumonnn!!! I am sorry I disagree it is a work of art. I am an accomplished guitar player. I hear perfection. Sorry

Oh man that makes me so sad to hear you say that...
I'm not saying he wasn't a tremendous player. I just think he's overrated.
Jaco never slapped...
I never said he did. I said Colin Hodgkinson was slapping and doing all manner of things on a bass before Jaco made a record.
I am sorry ... you are just so wrong my friend
This is the thread where no one can be wrong in their opinion. This isn't a fact-based thread, it's purely about opinion.
Do you play bass Grim?
Yeah. My detractors might have something to say about that though !

I never said he did. I said Colin Hodgkinson was slapping and doing all manner of things on a bass before Jaco made a record.

This is the thread where no one can be wrong in their opinion. This isn't a fact-based thread, it's purely about opinion.

Thank you, I never dis I just love Jaco xxx

Thats cool xxx

We should get a jam sometime. A bit of funk? Xxx

I played in a funk metal band back in the day in the 80's great slap player on bass, a mad rapper on vocal, we were so ahead of our time. I chunked and funked on guitar like the Chillies in the verse then thrashed the chorus.

I think as much as those Beetle songs have been poured over, if one note was out of place, it would have been mentioned. I don't think there is any other band that has been analyzed as much as the Beetles, I think that alone makes your case. Just the lack of negativity on his playing supports your case.

iu

This fella.
I think he has long been underrated..........as a singer. I think he had a lovely voice. Like many singers, he underrated himself.

Neil Young. WAY overrated. Average lyricist. Poor singer. Mediocre guitar player! He comes across as an expert on recording fidelity, but can't tune his fucking guitar! He will always be that "slightly out of tune guy" in harmonies with other great singers that often have a certain magic. Great, keep him as a turned down rhythm guitarist and a backup singer.

Brad Delp. You cannot possibly rate him high enough! He is simply the best singer in rock and roll, EVER!!! Every voice you hear on a Boston album he sang on, was him alone. By reports, he was mostly a 1 take wonder in the studio!

I can understand arguing my most underrated pick, as there are other KILLER singers in rock. But you are a deaf mofo and possess HORRIBLE taste if you argue my overrated choice. :)
I agree that in many aspects Neil was very average. However the thing that Neil did possess, which arguably is the most important in all of songwriting, is the ability to create memorable hooks. 'Old Man' or 'Keep on Rockin in the free World,' while vastly overplayed on the radio, are good examples of strong, memorable choruses IMO. I prefer a lot of his deeper album cuts (Cripple Creek Ferry, Lookout Mama) to the radio songs, but in general I think he had a special ability to combine a lyric, a melody and a chord change to create something that could be very powerful and evoke emotion. Of course hooks are subjective.

The other thing about Neil is I think he was one of the pioneers of alt-country. Although definitely not the first, I think his blend of folk, rock and country was still so original at the time that it really grabbed a lot of people the right way. Of course his band deserves credit for this as well.

As for Boston, couldn't agree more! One of the bands that got me into playing guitar as a youth.

Neil Young. WAY overrated.

Brad Delp. You cannot possibly rate him high enough! He is simply the best singer in rock and roll, EVER!!!

I can understand arguing my most underrated pick, as there are other KILLER singers in rock. But you are a deaf mofo and possess HORRIBLE taste if you argue my overrated choice. :)

I guess I’m deaf and have horrible taste.

I think Neil is great despite his shortcomings. Quite the prolific songwriter.

Hey, Bob Dylan couldn’t sing either.,yet he amassed quite the fan base and inspired other artists...... as did Neil.

Later in life Neil’s music kind of went down hill but in younger years he was great.

Brad Delp... what can I say. What a tragic loss of such talent.

I think Unknown should be added to the Overrated....Underrated..... title.
Then I could include some of you guys.

• Haha
Reactions: TAE
I guess I’m deaf and have horrible taste.

I think Neil is great despite his shortcomings. Quite the prolific songwriter.
100% agree Neil's voice is different than main stream power vocalist but he emotes heart and passion in his singing.... AND writes some really cool tunes and lyrics...Old Man live a million years ago...To each his own but IMO this live performance is pure magic...

As a listener, but also a guitar player, Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton. Let the fireworks begin and I’m gonna go and hide now 😁

100% agree Neil's voice is different than main stream power vocalist but he emotes heart and passion in his singing.... AND writes some really cool tunes and lyrics...Old Man live a million years ago...To each his own but IMO this live performance is pure magic...

Wow that really was quite a performance, can't imagine what it would have been like to see that in person, as a brand new song!

Reactions: TAE
Back