Overhead for mono drums?

Hi guys... i need some advice: i'm looking for a decent mic i can use as an overhead for the drums. I want these drums in mono, so it's an aesthetic choice for a specific purpose. I'm gonna mic the kick and snare too but i'm already happy with what i have....so about this overhead, and i can't spend too much could a single NT5 do the job, or do they only work well as a pair OH? What about a sm81? Or maybe a md421, are they versatile enough? Some other not-that-expensive microphone?

I should add that i'm into lo-fi and old school sounds, obviously i'm not expecting high fidelity, but something that sounds cool to my ears..cheap but not crap 😁

I'd imagine an SM-81 would be fine. I personally rely on a pair of Earthworks SR-71's or KM-184's. Lofi? Maybe look into some of the cheaper ribbons.

I think it would depend to some degree on how many cymbals and toms are in the kit, the spread, the room, and the sound you are hoping for.

I actually used a Beta 57a overhead (Glynn-Johns experimenting) - not going to sound like a pair of LDCs, but will probably get closer to the lo-fi sound. The tighter pattern might be a problem if you have a small-ish space, though, since you won't be able to get too far from the kit before you're getting the walls, too. If you need a wider pattern, then I'd consider any affordable LDC with a cardioid pattern, and a pad switch if you've got a volume issue. You can EQ that to as lo-fi as you want.

Having a pair of overheads doesn't really mean you can't still have a mono drum track, so not quite sure why the single mic is a requirement.

I have an AT 3035 as a single overhead behind the drum throne over the drummers head pointed at the juncture between the snare and kick and I have found it gives a very good sound of the kit as a whole. I am actually using a mulit mic setup using ~10 mics, but I have used just the AT with a kick and snare mic and have had good results. A large diaphragm or medium large seems to work the best for me

Thanks for the replies...i'd like to give the at3035 a try, but really there's so many options it's hard to choose. I also read good things about the ak c214 used as OH.

I suppose it's all about experimenting, but i'd like not to be completely off-base when purchasing the mic 😁

Depending on your taste, I'd say pretty much any mic would work, especially if you are also independently miking the bass drum and snare. I have utilized a single mic as an overhead before {it was either a Behringer Eagle or one from a Superlux drum miking set}. The one in the large room {it was actually a warehouse} amazed me. It was in 2010 and I still can't get over how it picked up the drums better {to my ears} than the overhead pair I used at the time. The one I used in the usual tiny room I record drums in, I hung directly above the snare and it did the job although I wished I'd done it like I usually did, as an overhead {well, underhead, actually} pair !
While I definitely do find that some mics record some sources "better" {ie, more to my taste} than others, there is no such thing as a microphone that does not record a source ~ or one that records a source "badly." When people tell me, "there is a reason top class engineers use such and such a mic", I say "yeah."

Last edited:
Depending on your taste, I'd say pretty much any mic would work, especially if you are also independently miking the bass drum and snare. I have utilized a single mic as an overhead before {it was either a Behringer Eagle or one from a Superlux drum miking set}. The one in the large room {it was actually a warehouse} amazed me. It was in 2010 and I still can't get over how it picked up the drums better {to my ears} than the overhead pair I used at the time. The one I used in the usual tiny room I record drums in, I hung directly above the snare and it did the job although I wished I'd done it like I usually did, as an overhead {well, underhead, actually} pair !
While I definitely do find that some mics record some sources "better" {ie, more to my taste} than others, there is no such thing as a microphone that does not record a source ~ or one that records as source "badly." When people tell me, "there is a reason top class engineers use such and such a mic", I say "yeah."
Yes, it's all very subjective. But it's always nice to read about other people's experience -such as yours- and "modus operandi"...helps to figure out about the path you might or might not want to take. At least for me! But yep, in the end it's down to personal preferences. Just like someone's favourite band/artists might be someone else's worst nightmare haha.

Try to use a Rode NT-1 or NT-2A. I obtained the best result with a Rode NT2-A in cardioid pattern. Positioned behind the drummer, about 1,8 m from the ground , tilted toward the center of the drum kit. Nice balance, very good definition and overall pleasing sound.

An other alternative would be to use the same microphone for room capture. About 3 to 6 m from the kit, at human head height and pointing toward the kit (obviously). Either cardioid or omni pattern.

In the past, I used AKG C3000 and AKG 414 with great result.

Cheers from Canada.

Xavier

Back