Overhead (and acoustic) mics - choice between, 451, c4, 603, nt5, nt3, m179

shutupandshave

I am after some overheads and acoustic mics, with about $400 to spend.

I have a gt-66, and a samson c01 at the moment.

These are the choices I am looking at.

AKG 451
Studio Projects C4
MXL 603
Rode NT5
Rode NT3
CAD M179

I dont understand the difference between the nt3 and the nt5, can anyone enlighten me?

I was also thinking about getting for example mxl 603's and C4's... as I think I could afford both.

I would like to know what advice people have?

I don't know how long you can wait, but tommorow my drummer is bringing all his stuff around and we're gonna track with the C4's. If you want I'll try and get some clips done soonish.

I believe the differences in the RODE are......

1) the NT3 is a 3/4" electret condenser whereas the NT5 is a 1/2" true condenser mic. (see the STICKY mic thread)

2) the NT3 can operate on a 9v battery or phantom power and the NT5 requires phantom power.

3) the NT3 is sold individually for about $150 and does not come in matched pairs (I think) and the NT5 ONLY comes in matched pairs for $300.

4) the sound of the NT3 (I own one) is bright ..... hyped in the upper mids ... harsh on some things.

The NT5's are described as very neutral and unhyped ..... some say slightly darker sounding.

I personally would not use the NT3's for overheads.

I recently discovered it can yeild a good crunchy sound from a distorted Mesa/Marshall amp setup though.

I have listened to the M179 at thelisteningsessions.com and I like this mic.

I think it was Chessrock who said they make a good overhead .... make things sound "big" but natural ..... or something to that effect.

The AKG is I believe soething of a classic with a brighter sound.

Plenty to find about the 603's by searching.

Cannot comment on the c4's.

My 2 cents.

-mike

formerlyfzfile said:
I have listened to the M179 at thelisteningsessions.com and I like this mic.

I think it was Chessrock who said they make a good overhead .... make things sound "big" but natural ..... or something to that effect.

"Meaty." Nice and meaty. Great on the toms.

I'm a big fan of the NT5's for overhead duties, and percussion in general. I just finished tracking a 10 song metal project, with a huge kit (5 toms, 9 cymbals, 2 hats), and they presented the whole kit very well. They also worked well for chimes, tamborine, cowbell, rhythm crasher, and a large piece of metal hit with a hammer (kind of like the anvil sound found on that Motely Crue song). While the M179 might be another good choice, I generally don't prefer LDC's on overhead duties, due to the coloration off axis...but that's subjective.

Hope this helps!

Jay

P.S. I also liked the NT5's on an acoustic 12 string too!!

shutupandshave said:
I am after some overheads and acoustic mics, with about $400 to spend.

I have a gt-66, and a samson c01 at the moment.

These are the choices I am looking at.

AKG 451
Studio Projects C4
MXL 603
Rode NT5
Rode NT3
CAD M179

I dont understand the difference between the nt3 and the nt5, can anyone enlighten me?

I was also thinking about getting for example mxl 603's and C4's... as I think I could afford both.

I would like to know what advice people have?
I've never use the C4's or M179's but I have all the others... out of your list I like the C451's the best... but I suggest you add the Josephson C42's to your list of overhead mics to audition. ;)

Check out the thread I posted in this forum with clips of both drums and acoustic with the C4's.

Yo Shutup! I think you may be confused. The C451 is a great overhead, but generally a pair is used, and they are $400 *apiece*. I have not heard the M179, but lots of good things have been said about it by people I trust. The C-4's are workhorse mics in my studio, and I have a lot of respect for them. They are really good mics at their price point, now about $320 the pair, with cardioid and omni capsules, shock mounts, and a flight case. I think they are by far the most useful versatile pair I've heard in your price range, and I prefer them to NT-5, with or without the extra capsules. MXL603 is the budget price winner, but I still prefer the C-4's by a solid margin. The C451, IMHO is a better mic than any of the above, and should be, at twice the price. The M179, as I said, I have not heard, but if it lives up to the hype, it is a very good buy.-Richie

If you're going for a bright mostly cymbal sound and can afford them, the C451B's would be killer. Nice bright mic on acoustic as well.

If you're going for a fairly meaty and full sound, the M179's would be nice. Very ballsy overhead sound, acoustic sound is pretty good (I like them better on picked guitar style but they do decent on strummed).

I like the C4's on overhead, but not on acoustic guitar.

NT5's are great on overhead also, but I'm not a super huge fan on acoustic.

Both the C4's and the NT5's have sort of a rounded off attack on acoustic guitar that I do not like in general. Others will dig that sound I suppose.

Cannot comment on the others.

War

I have a pair of old C451's with CK1 capsules and yeah, these are great overhead mics and great spot mics on hi hat and ride cymbal. Very nice mics for recording acoustic guitar (in a stereo placement like NOS, DIN or ORTF).

But, the SP B1's did a very good job on OH as well, different sound, but very nice too.

Back