Ovation Collectors Guitar - Tone tone tone

What known fact???

What is it really about Ovations that you guys don’t like?

Is it the tone, look, what?

Granted if I had $4000.00 to spend on a guitar, I would look at some thing other than an Ovation even though I own a 1979 6 string Balladeer and a 2002 12 string Legend.

Every guitar has a different tone/ sound quality doesn’t it?

Pier

I've played many Ovations in my life. They're decent enough guitar to gig with (it looks sorta like an acoustic guitar and you can plug it in :D ). I've NEVER heard one that could compare in any way tone wise to a quality conventional guitar of damn near any make.

Pier Calacino said:
Every guitar has a different tone/ sound quality doesn’t it?

Yeah you're right, but I think personally, the tone coming out of an ovation would be used maybe once or twice in recorded songs. In other words you won't really get your moneys' worth out of it. I have an "applause" by ovation and I've put damn near every brand of strings under the sun on it, and I still don't like it. It collects more dust than anything, anymore. My Taylor on the other hand never gets put down!:D

I used to own a few Ovations. Now own a wonderful Martin, and I'm not looking for another 6 string acoustic. The quote that nobody records with an Ovation is inaccurate. Al DiMeola, who is a FANTASTIC player recorded many tracks with a Custom Legend model. In any case I don't think it's real polite to piss on a members for sale ad. :( If you think that whatever is being offered for sale is crap, start a new thread about it. But telling someone that what he's selling is s-it on his for sale ad is pretty rude. Just my .02

They're decent enough on stage, unless you are a more 'portly' gentleman, in which case you'll share my experience of not being able to get them to stay still on your stomach. :)

I know someone who has a double-neck Ovation that cost him a fortune. It still sounds like a plastic pudding bowl with strings attached. :)

SteveK said:
....... In any case I don't think it's real polite to piss on a members for sale ad. :( If you think that whatever is being offered for sale is crap, start a new thread about it. But telling someone that what he's selling is s-it on his for sale ad is pretty rude. Just my .02

Thanks SteveK - this was my first (and probably last) attempt to sell anything in this forum.

I was speaking of personal recorded songs. I believe that most people would be more satified with a better balanced guitar.

Sarge

One thing you learn in this forum is that these guys can be painfully blunt. Polite? Seldom. Blunt? Most always.
I guess that's the price you pay for a "free" ad.

Back