Out to external effect and record back?

Zoombert

Hi all, my first ever post.. I have a Zoom R24 and would like to be able to play a track, send it out through an analogue effect and then record back in simultyaneously.

I haven´t managed to figure out how to do this or even if it can be done. Any pointers? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I´m not at all a experienced user, yet ;-)

Can the headphone output be a different mix from the line output?

One of the problems with trying to do this with only one stereo output is that you have to give up the connection to at least one monitor in order to get signal to an external hardware processor. This works better with a recorder or interface with more outputs.

The headphone output is the same as the monitor outs, it just has a volume control.

The Zoom doesn't normally allow external patches, but I think you should be able to feed a monitor output to your external device and then feed that back to a second channel, as long as you keep that channel's fader down to avoid a feedback loop. You won't be able to monitor the effect look in real time. The best thing would be to monitor the effect before plugging it into the second channel. Once you get it sounding the way you want, then feed it to the input and set a safe level. Once the effect is recorded, you can blend in as much as you want in the mix.

You MIGHT be able to monitor the effect if you pan it completely to one side. Send channel 1 100% left, feed left monitor out to the effect, then effect to channel 2 which is panned 100% right, and monitor the right channel.

This is essentially what I do. I use my headphones to monitor the effect while I use an output, so it’s no big deal.

This is essentially what I do. I use my headphones to monitor the effect while I use an output, so it’s no big deal.
But the headphone output is evidently the same mix as the line output. The only way to do it is to pan the send to the effect to one side then pan the return to the other side and monitor it on one speaker or only one side of the headphones. If the effect output is stereo, you can't really monitor it accurately.

That's just a limitation of an all in the box recorder. It has some built in effects, but it's not really designed to add external effects. The R24 isn't designed to connect a patch bay, any more than a Scarlett Solo is.

But the headphone output is evidently the same mix as the line output. The only way to do it is to pan the send to the effect to one side then pan the return to the other side and monitor it on one speaker or only one side of the headphones. If the effect output is stereo, you can't really monitor it accurately.
My interface has a knob to where I can choose to only hear what’s coming in, only hear what’s being played, or a mix of the two.

Thanks for the great response, I can now confirm that I was a bit lazy when I popped the question before doing my own research.

I have found that it works great for the intended purpose. I play the raw track on eg track-1, I take the signal out from L or R output, runs through the external effect (check levels first so it is within proper range), then the signal goes in to the destination track with added effect.

Here is the trick for proper monitoring: I go into the Tool menu\Metronome\Sound -here I choose the destination track as metronome sound. I then set the metronome switch to "metronome only". This gives that I can monitor the raw-track by turning the phones-balance pot all the way to MASTER. When I turn it all the way to CLICK I can monitor the recorded track and dial in the right settings on the external effect. This works perfect!

Also discovered that when I record a electric guitar I can go straight out from the output into the guitar amp tho get the normal volume and feel from the amp while recording the dry guitar signal.

It´s an amazing little machine this R24.. :P(y)

Where there's a will....

Glad to hear it's working for you. I've never bothered to reamp anything. Maybe I'm just old school, but it sounds like it worked pretty well. Good information to have!

Back