Ordered Mac G5 and Logic Pro

Emusic

For a long time my crappy PC has made a lot of problems for my recording/songwriting sessions.
Today I ordered a Mac Power PC G5 2.5Ghz Dual with 2.5 Gb ram and Logic Pro 7. Can hardly wait for the arrival :)

I have a Dual 2.5 G5 as well with 2.5GB ram, it'll be worth the somewhat large investment. Hope you got the Applecare warranty!

RhythmRmixd said:
I have a Dual 2.5 G5 as well with 2.5GB ram, it'll be worth the somewhat large investment. Hope you got the Applecare warranty!
I will get that one at a later stage. I guess I have a one year warranty anyway now?
Any specific reason I should get that warranty right away?

Yea, you do have a one year factory warranty. The main reason I bought the applecare is because of the liquid cooling system that comes only in the 2.5ghz version of the Dual G5's. Based on Apple's website, they only tested the 2.5 G5's for roughly a year, so there's really no telling what could happen after that period of time. The entire cooling system is considered as one modular unit, and would cost hundreds of dollars alone to replace.

The liquid cooling system in the 2.5ghz is completely different than just the fan based systems in the dual 2.0 and 1.8ghz machines. I just wanted to be safe, mine's been running just fine with no problems since I got it . If you bought a flat panel monitor with your machine, applecare covers that as well with no added expense.

Tnx. No I didnt buy one of those monitors. I'm keeping my 19" CRT and adding a cheap 19" flatscreen LCD for now. It's a dual video card I guess(?). I will buy that insurance later before my warranty runs out.

Good to see another dual G5 user on this forum. I'm running Digital Performer 4.5 with various virtual instruments and plugs. My weakest link right now is no internet connection to my mac. I'm in desperate need of software updates!

Here is a good forum for G5 users:
http://g5support.com/group/index.php

Last edited:
i got my dual 1.8 and very happy with it. Doing alot more video editing and stuff for music when i go to Uni though so ill either upgrade to a dual 2.0 or just stick some more RAM in it, Which way do you think i should go?

I think you'll be fine with the dual 1.8ghz, stick some more ram in it. All 3 machines are awesome, and you can upgrade ram fairly easy. There's instructions on how to do it at that link I posted above. Mac OSX loves ram, and if your using VI's and plugs like I am, the more ram the better. Just run the regular maintenance scripts in Unix and repair your permisisons once in a while, update your software, and everything should go well.

Let me know how you like Logic. I am running a dual 1.8 G5 with a M-Audio Delta 1010lt card using Cubase SE. Cubase itself is not so bad and I could live with its frequent crashes, but I recently bought Steinbergs Virtual Instrument Collection. What a piece of crap. Groove Agent SE can't record and the others quit responding to midi input after about thirty seconds or so. I have posted this problem on every forum I visit and have recieved zero help. One well meaning soul suggested I go into the Device Manager and disable then enable the sound card. Fine and dandy, except the person did not know Macs do not have a device manager.
I use Final Cut Express a lot and it does not crash. My reasononing for possibly going with Logic is that it should be optimized for Mac far better than Cubase and any updates or support at all would be an improvement over Steinberg. So please if any of you are running Logic, let me know what you think. Thank you in advance. ;)

I'm a current Cubase user. I'll tell you what I think in a week or two, as soon as I get some hours on my new beast and Logic Pro. Gonna be a Logic noobs review, but hey; I'll keep you updated.
Cant wait!! :)

Emusic said:
I'm a current Cubase user. I'll tell you what I think in a week or two, as soon as I get some hours on my new beast and Logic Pro. Gonna be a Logic noobs review, but hey; I'll keep you updated.
Cant wait!! :)

Very cool! :D

It´s time to state my case.
The move to Mac and Logic has been a giant leap forward in my songwriting and mixing work.
I can throw in so much work for the Mac and Logic. And it just keeps on....working.
Tremendeous.
If you ever go 100% serious about not wasting your time (like u weren´t already?) on fixing that hardware problem and fixing that click and this pop - consider Logic/Mac.
It´s a new dawn!

Not much of a review though :rolleyes: I would be writing all night to make a good review.
This sums it all!

Emusic said:
The move to Mac and Logic has been a giant leap forward in my songwriting and mixing work.
I can throw in so much work for the Mac and Logic. And it just keeps on....working.
Tremendeous.
If you ever go 100% serious about not wasting your time (like u weren´t already?) on fixing that hardware problem and fixing that click and this pop - consider Logic/Mac.
It´s a new dawn!

Not much of a review though :rolleyes: I would be writing all night to make a good review.
This sums it all!

Lucky You!
Logic Pro kicks ass.

Be Sure to DL the Krystal Synth Software as well.
That's the system we have at my local Community College, and man it kills!

What are you using to get into it?

I want the same rig with a MOTU 24 I/O that way I can use whatever Mic Preamps I want, rather than being stuck with the MOTU Pre's.

Also, keep in mind that the Mackie Universal Controller was designed hand in hand with Logic. So for another $900 or so dollars you can get into a controller that works almost flawlessly with it. the only problems I had, was some ass had switched the 1st and 2nd. set of faders in the college, and people wre going "how come Track one is coming up on the 9th fader?" LOL I just picked the two units up and swapped them while laughing. I should have seen that one coming.

Tim

Nice, I have just ordered Logic Pro 7.1 as 7 was a bit wobbly on Tiger !! Im running a 2x2.5 G5 and it is a monster, I love it to bits !

Im using an older RME DIGI96/8 pad audio card and 2 x MOTU 828 mk IIs and it just rocks !!!

Im still running 1 GB of RAM which is OK however I think I'll upgrade that next. I have had no problems with the computer and had it since Jan 05.

Oh you will probably want to get a video adaptor if you want to run two "non-apple interfaced" monitors. It is irritating as I was hoping, after dropping 3k on the computer that they would have included them !!

I decided to put some more ram in mine instead of purchasing another G5 for the processors. Got a total of 3Gb now! :D Cant really notice the difference as of yet apart from the odd program, but it will definately come in useful for when i get those video editing programmes!!

Emusic said:
Tremendeous.
It´s a new dawn!

This sums it all!

Good to hear your positive experience with Logic. I'm probably going to switch eventually. I was blaming Steinberg for midi problems and about that time M-Audio released a new driver for the 1010lt that addressed the problem. Working flawlessly since then.
:rolleyes:

Back