Order of operation recording question.

People who initially come here do so to get and/or share information about home recording. They do not come here to read 5 pages of inside jokes and back-and-forth banter.

Putting something in bold type doesn't make it less stupid. In fact, it's like turning up the volume. It only emphasizes how stupid it is.

I would say the responses to my post, from exactly the people I was referring to, have totally reinforced the point I was making...

There's some footage of the Foo Fighters on Youtube. The "home" setup they use is hardly basic!! Whatever people say having a simple click makes the entire process easier - anyone who says using a click makes them wooden or robotic is just avoiding the fact that they havn't got the skills. Look on the click as an annoying, pedantic extra band member, work with it, it WILL improve the overall result.

I am a drummer and have a lot of recording time under my belt. There are 2 crucial things drummers need to do to make the engineers life easy. First thing is play with a click and do it well. I have ghost drummed before for bands that have a drummer with poor meter. What I would do is play said drummers beats with a click and then his drum sounds are put over my drums. Thats a dirty little secret in the industry. The other thing drummers need to do when recording is hit the drums in the same spot the same way every time. It makes the engineers job a lot easier when the drums are in time and the levels are consistent. One more thing, make sure your drums are tuned well. Great sounding drums do not need that much help, again making the engineers job easier.

I would say the responses to my post, from exactly the people I was referring to, have totally reinforced the point I was making...

Life hasn't treated you well, has it? It shows. I hope you get happy one day. But for now, try not to take it out on other people, or at least wait until page 5 until you started whining. :)

Last edited:
I go the other way around from the OP, but I don't have my band any more, just 2 hands. Since the "song" is the thing that flows with ups and downs and pauses and such, I do my guitar + vocal at the same time first because this is the part I play live, and I can feel my own song flow better doing them at the same time. The bass gets added as an overdub and fills it out. Finally the drums are the last bit. Once the guitar and bass and voice are in place I find it's an easier bed I can follow on a drumset and put accents where they belong and follow the tempo feel changes of the origional guitar/vocal part.

If I don't like how it blends together, I just redo the first guitar/vocal part along to the overdubbed bass/drum parts that played along to the origional; Redo the parts from the origional guide track rhythmically to the tracks it guided. eh. works for me well enough and there's nobody else to argue with me about it (which is why I have to do it this way anyway).

Sticking strictly to the subject at hand is actually quite hard and often monotonous because so many different things are interconnected. Therefore, one point that a person makes is more likely than not, I'd say, to spark different thoughts and associations in different people who will then express themselves differently. Sometimes a few posts of lighthearted banter flowing back and forth can help lighten the mood and recharge the batteries for round 2. Yes, I do see that people will come to a forum on home recording primarilly to gain and share things connected with recording at home. And for the most part, that is what a person will find.
The OP has asked for opinions and tips. That is what is the OP has been receiving. With a few wisecracks thrown in for good measure because this isn't the political forum.

Then you can get a band of musicians who have been playing for years.

But how many bands do you get these days who actually practice and play together more than one day a week or month? Let alone even practice their instruments?

Personally I hate the sound of a click track in any form. I've been playing for 50 yrs. I'll follow the drummer and bass. If they want to play to a click fine. Just don't make me listen to it. It reminds me of a very bad childhood incident. For classical stuff, a click ain't happening.

Back