Orchestral Samples for VSampler?

Mountainmirrors

kaleidoscopic renegade
Hi -

Can anyone recommend a good collection of orchestral sounds to use in VSampler? That won't cost 500-1000 bucks? Thanks!

Cheers!
Jeff

hey mountianmirrors:
I'm in the exact same search as you. So far i have found a lot of string sample libraries varying in quality and price. I've looked into steinberg's halion strings but they look overpriced. I've aslo checked out propellerhead's "rason strings refill", they are cheap but i don't know if they are compatible with anything other than reason.
I must agree with jazzyblues about the garrtan stings. THey ahve the best reputation and the price is decent. Though he speaks of a 250 dollar version, there is also a 179 dollar version that is "gigasampler light" version. It is the same as the other one but lacks a sampling program and cubase VST software (which we don't need anyways!). It says it is gigasampler compatible and our Vsampler says it will accept gigasampler files as well so i may go this route.

I wanna be sure this will work though so if anybody else knows, let me know. I want to know if the gigasampler light version of the garrtian library will work with Vsampler 3.

If you find anything else that looks appealing, let me know.

Mountainmirrors said:
Can anyone recommend a good collection of orchestral sounds to use in VSampler? That won't cost 500-1000 bucks?
Issue 69 of the magazine "Computer Music" had some good ones. :)

Or try Edirol Orchestral DXi.

edirol orchestra eh? hmmm i'm gonna have to check that out. is it a library for v smpler or another stand alone program?

If price is an issue, Edirol is $300 - although it does sound good. Quality-wise, Edirol and Garritan are about the same.
It would just depend on what you're looking for and what they do.

"...there is also a 179 dollar version that is "gigasampler light" version."

The gigasampler is the $249 version. It might have been $179 but apparently they raised the price.

are you sure jazzyblues...

i was just checking their website out and there are definately two different versions: a 249 dollar one and a 179 dollar one.
The 249 (personal orchestra) includes the vative kontact sampler, the basic library, some reverb program and cubase VST. The 179 version includes only the library (i'm assuming). Some clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help jazzy.

check out this link:
http://www.garritan.com/features.html
Then look right under the features title, there are 3 links, one to each verion offoered, i'm talking about the 3rd option, not the first.

I didn't see the Lite version before, Minofifa.

But it said, "A More Affordable Way to Own these Remarkable String Sounds - $199."

That's the only other price I found other than the $249. Maybe there's a $179 in there somewhere. I just didn't find it.

haha gotta love sketchy websites.
meh either way, money isn't a huge issue. I just figured i'd be wise and save money on not getting the kontact sampler because i've already payed for the Vsampler in sonar. After doing even MORE research, it looks like there are issues with Vsampler 3.0 and loading gigasampler files. I may just shell out the extra 50 and get the 249 package and have the piece of mind that my package will work properly.

On another note, i'm glad i paide 200 extra for the producer edition of sonar when we don't even get updates to the 3rd party stuff. Why would i want a program that doesn't work properly? I'm talking about vsampler 3 and not being able to upgrade to 3.1 for free. In general i just hate hidden costs.

minofifa said:
edirol orchestra eh? hmmm i'm gonna have to check that out. is it a library for v smpler or another stand alone program?

its a VSTi/DXi, works great within sonar 3pe at least for me

Thanks for the suggestions!
The Edirol and Garriton both sound spectacular...definitely both top knotch.
I like the Garriton, because you can build on it over time...that's how they get you, I guess:-)
250 to start, then 599 for their next "solo strings" library...I can see how it might get dangerous:-)

The demo mp3s at both sites sound very realistic...Cheers!

"250 to start, then 599 for their next "solo strings" library...I can see how it might get dangerous:-)"

Yeah, but if you're serious about what you're doing - and do alot of orchestral stuff - why not?

Question and comment. For the Edirol users. I had an Edirol synth and it demanded you put the #%**^%& CD in every time you wanted to open it. What is the copy protection on their Orchestral synth?

GPO and EWQLSO-Silver do the same things. Stand alone mode, pretty full orchestras. Slightly different sound. Some people go ga-ga over GPO. I have both and actually, slightly favor EWQLSO. It has IMHO, a better interfact, DFD (which GPO says it will introduce someday) and uses brass sections (in GPO you have to build them player by player). EWQLSO is pre recorded in symphony position and you have to work some to change it if you want say, the strings on the far right. The instruments are slightly different as well, but both cover the orchestras well. I have heard it said that GPO is better for "classical" sounding pieces and EWQLSO is better for "modern" or "film" orchestral sounds. I'm not sure I buy that, but I've heard it more than once.

GPO is (supposed) to come out with several additional modules... including a big band plug in and some vocal plug ins.

Considering what we had to work with a few years ago, this stuff is all awesome!

Take Care

rjt said:
I had an Edirol synth and it demanded you put the #%**^%& CD in every time you wanted to open it. What is the copy protection on their Orchestral synth?
Still CD, but not every time you open the DXi. It's pretty seldom...

If you're into soundfonts, then Sonido Media (?) has ever made some Orchestral Soundfonts Collection. It was one of the best orchestral sample collection I've ever known for only ~60 bucks. Currently, their site seems gone, and rumor said they go bankrupt (or merger?). May be you'll get lucky using Google with "Sonido Orchestra soundfonts" :)

Back