Opinions/Suggestions on recording

jjjtttggg

Here is a cover of a Taylor Swift's "Best Day" my daughter and I did. Ok, so I'm not a huge TS fan, but I really like the way her stuff is recorded/produced and my daughter (singing here) is a huge fan.

I'm interested in any opinions/feedback/suggestions to incorporate into our next "project". One specific question is how to make it sound: 1.) wider and 2.) ooomphier.

Best Day - Maddiekix - The Music Hutch

Instrumentation:

Acoustic guitar recorded direct from Fishman electronics with under-bridge pickup
Hollowbody Electric straightinto Fender Hotrod Deluxe Amp with close SM57
Bass recorded direct
Vocals with SM57
Percussion (Emerald Mixed Nuts Container full of gravel. :p) SM57
Ride and Crash - Alesis DM5 electronic kit.

All recorded/mixed/encoded in Reaper.

Sounds nice, guitars especially sound nice with good playing. Bass is big and full-Your daughter can hold a tune : ). A pleasurable listen.

Sounds like you should get a real vocal mic-a large diaphragm condensor. It will make things easier on the vocalist becuase it picks up so much better. A little compression on the voice also makes it easier to sit it in the mix.

Awesome project to do with your daughter.

Thanks Stratomaster. Yes it was fun. It's the first recording project she's done and she's getting props from her friends with it, so she wants to do another, which will be fun. She's also learning guitar, so in future she'll play and sing. My son (great lead guitar player) will be home from college over Christmas break so we're talking about what song to do.

I've been reading about condensor mics. Maybe a letter to Santa :)

Anyway, thanks again.

J

Back