Opinions please.

dobro: Mic choice is tricky for sure. So many variables, but like all things recording, if you can get your best from the get-go, that's optimal... The SM7 is a great mic though, glad it mostly works for you.

No, it doesn't work that well on my voice, that's what I was wanting to say, and that surprises me because the SM7's sort of a vocal all rounder.

You've probably tried some condenser mics on your voice, how did they work out? Ribbon mics are always worth trying to.

I've been using an AT4050 on my voice. It's got figure 8 also, which comes in really handy sometimes, because I play and sing at the same time (good side rejection) and also sometimes for mid-side stuff. But I'd still like to try the RE20 and the KSM44, just to see.

Bit of a rough mix, but would certainly appreciate feedback.

Sounds a bit 'tubby', and lo-fi, but I think it has some potential.

Previously, I was 'emeric' on this site, (still am in real life), but haven't posted in a very, very, long time.

Thanks for listening to it!
My first impression of the guitars was they have that kind of raspy/gaspy DI sort of sound. I listened again on headphones and they sounded a lot better. Back on speakers the gaspiness returns. It's a great track. Vocals are spot on. I hear the Joe Walsh reference, and maybe some Sammy Hagar as well. If you do retrack the guitars, the crisp Rocky Mountain Way bite would really suit this imo.

Bulls Hit: That is a good description of the guitars. They do have this high-mid / frequency energy that I've tried to tame, but they get kinda dull if I'm too aggressive with the EQ. I think I'm gonna re-track them. There is a bit of a DI sound. The irony is that I'm pretty sure this track is a stereo mic'd up Wangs Marshall knock-off, and a Mesa Boogie Mark V 25. I probably had the gain up a bit too much when I tracked them, bad mic placement or a myriad of other possibilities.. I don't always have the vision to know what will suit the song, until it's getting closer to finished. Feedback much appreciated.

Hi Emeric,

Great song, really enjoyed it!

How are you getting on with it? Looking forward to hearing a progressed mix.

I think it has some potential too.

Last edited:
HumanPlanet: Thanks for checking it out, glad you enjoyed it. Since posting this I have:

- retracked guitars
- retracked drums
- written a more cohesive lead guitar part, but can't play it up to speed yet.

I'd like to retrack the vocals, as these ones I'm still battling the high mid harshness, no matter how much EQ I use.
While working on another song, I tried a completely different microphone on the same singer, and it captures
his voice much better without the harshness, and needs minimal EQ'ing. I'll give that mic a shot next time we attempt vocals on this one.

Yeah that mic is a better match for the singer.

I liked the guitars before and I like them now. I can't really remember the first ones to tell if I like these better or not. But they're both good.

I still think the kick is about a db too loud. The bass might be able to come down a bit too. They both sound great tho.

TripleM: Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my post. I haven't actually updated the file yet, as I haven't re-recorded the vocals yet. The file here is the same file
as always. This wasn't some sort of placebo / psychological experiment on my part! I'll be clearer to say a new mix is up, when I actually have one.

Interesting. Not my balliwick, but well done. Sounds 80s-ish. Maybe a Boston or Foreigner influence. I would have brought the vocals in earlier in the beginning. Good job.

My ears were different then. I didn't detect any harshness in the vocal like I did the first time.

I really like the instrumental, the guitars have a nice crunchiness to them and the drums are crisp. It’s a nice mid 70s throwback vibe. I’m a bit iffy on the vocals and the vocal melody of the track, the melody sounds a bit awkward to me personally but that may just be my preference. Recording/mixing wise it’s pretty great.

Back