Opinions please.

Bit of a rough mix, but would certainly appreciate feedback.

Sounds a bit 'tubby', and lo-fi, but I think it has some potential.

Previously, I was 'emeric' on this site, (still am in real life), but haven't posted in a very, very, long time.

Thanks for listening to it!

Attachments

• TINATURNER2.mp3
    7.6 MB
Sounds real good to me. I'm listening on HD 280 Pro phones. The drums @ 1:09 & 1:34 didn't feel right - almost like a bad splice. The vocal was a little too crisp in the midrange for my ears. I trimmed it back 2dB from 2K-2.2K. I'm not one who cares much for a wide stereo spread throughout a song, this has just enough for me. I really like that walk-up on lead guitar, reminded me of Green Eyed Lady.

Emeric, this is great. So glad to hear you're still on it. Good work! Really like it.

Vocal a taste crispy maybe. Maybe.

Love the crunch on guitars, sounds like a long lost Joe Walsh/James Gang song ( Im old :ROFLMAO: !). Tasty, and tasteful guitar solo, great song , I really enjoyed it!

Bit of a rough mix, but would certainly appreciate feedback.

Sounds a bit 'tubby', and lo-fi, but I think it has some potential.

Previously, I was 'emeric' on this site, (still am in real life), but haven't posted in a very, very, long time.

Thanks for listening to it!
Very Joe Walsh sounding - mix is kind of wonky - it's not the same throughout the song.

spantini: Thanks for checking it out. I do hear a blip of some sort at 1:09, you have good ears. Possibly a noise on a track that hasn't been cleaned up, or maybe the mp3 conversion introduced it. I don't hear anything at 1:34 though, except possibly the drum part wasn't executed as well as it could of been I guess. Agreed on the vocals, they are bit mid-rangy. I didn't notice on 8" speakers, but they are ice picky on 3.5". I'm really into the old bands from the 70's, and thought I'd heard all of them, but never ran across 'Sugarloaf'. Interesting stuff, reminded me of Roller, this song specifically: http://tinyurl.com/3a4vs9j6

mrjlr: Glad you liked it!

dobro: Long time no see. Good to see you, hope you've been well. Thanks for the listen, and crispy vocal noted.

stratmonkee: Appreciate the feedback. I never would of guessed Joe Walsh / James Gang, but you're probably correct. The reason the file is called 'Tinaturner' is because I thought it sounded like 'Simply The Best'. I was trying to figure out if I ripped anyone off, and that's the closest I could find at the time.

Papanate: Another Joe Walsh reference, interesting. Is it the vocals / melody? I've never listened to much Joe Walsh, but the singer on this song does. Wonky is a very good description for the mix, it has some issues for sure. It's a bit of a battle for me as I've been out of it (recording / mixing etc.) for a long time and doing a lot of catch up. I'll start from ground up on it again sometime. Thanks for the feedback.

PorterhouseMusic: Glad you dig it, and thank you for listening!

I'd enjoy watching the band.
Now, why was I thinking 'Tina Turner'?
The raunchy guitar is a bit in-your-face, especially further into the song.
Loved the lead guitar, and the drummer seemed to know what he was doing.

I love the guitars. Great crunch.

Snare and kick sound great. Cymbals are good too. Kick is maybe a little loud.

Bass is a little bit of the "bouncy basketball" sound. Maybe lower any low end boost and/or raise any low-mid cut. It's not real bad though.

Vocal has a good rock sound. It's got just a bit of harshness to it. My voice has that too. Lately I've been using a de-esser and focusing it on the mid-2K range and maybe a little less than an octave wide. Other people have used a multi-band compressor in a similar way. But I think that might help.

I heard an edit at 1:34. And a weird set of kick thumps around 1:09 and 2:26.

PorterhouseMusic: It was one of two different things, or possibly a combination. I did initially start to record this with a miced up Wangs 1987 (Marshall Clone). But I also used Scuffhams (use to work for Marshall) S-Gear modeler, but not as a VST plugin. I used another computer, with S-Gear in stand-alone mode, and fed the output of one audio interface into the main audio interface. So, sort of a glorified guitar pedal. Glad you like the sound, I'm on the fence about retracking the guitar parts, but not sure I want to go down that rabbit hole.

Slouching Raymond: I do find some of the guitar parts a bit abrasive, agreed. Hopefully some balancing / EQ will sort that out. Thanks for the listen.

TripleM: The vocals have been a real challenge on this. I started out using an SM7, then tried a RE20, then a KSM44. Of those 3, the SM7 seems to fit this vocalist with the least amount of harshness. It's just the character of the voice I guess. De-essing does help for sure, and I had a bit of that in previous mixes. It's gonna take a bit of finessing for sure. Thank you for the comments and critical listen.

I appreciate all the objective feedback.

The SM7 brings out the low end in my voice, and because I don't have a huge low end you'd think it'd work, but to my ear it doesn't. Voices are so different. I'd love to try my voice on a RE20 and a KSM44.

Also, listened again tonight on the same VXT8s. Vocal sounds fine. Listenings are so different. 8-)

Your approach to bass: just so it's clearly audible and no more, is that right?

Being a bass player, over the years I've usually preferred a thick, prominent bass sound. It just seemed to tie everything together into one ball of sound. The bass filling the space like a soup everything else swims around in. These days, I've retuned my listening to focus more on it's supportive role. Listening to older Rock and Motown from 60's-70's AM radio reveals quite a bit. I hear lots of bass lines with little low end, mainly mids which tie in nicely with melodies, some not so prominent and many which are quite prominent - defining the song.

Some examples :

I hear lots of bass lines with little low end, mainly mids which tie in nicely with melodies, some not so prominent and many which are quite prominent - defining the song.
That describes me as well. A bass part, to me, doesn't have to have massive low end to add a wonderful aspect to a mix/song.

dobro: Mic choice is tricky for sure. So many variables, but like all things recording, if you can get your best from the get-go, that's optimal. I don't record in an optimal room, with optimal equipment or skills. My approach to bass really depends on its role in the song. Most of what I write always has drums. I try to first, balance it with the kick drum and build from there. The SM7 is a great mic though, glad it mostly works for you. You've probably tried some condenser mics on your voice, how did they work out? Ribbon mics are always worth trying to.

spantini: Motown is the best. I listen to that stuff all the time. The worst recordings are better then what I can do, and the sound is just - so real. So much talent, sparse arrangements and overall great songwriting.

TripleM: I like to reference Led Zeppelin for bass. They seemed to nail it pretty good.

PorterhouseMusic:
Thank you very much. I started to remix this a bit tonight, and think I got it a little better.

Back