Opinions on mic/pre amp sound

Phrasemaker

Hi, Folks

Firstly I am not a singer, but I've been learning since January, as it's damn inconvenient not to be able to. Especially as I play everything on my tracks and don't have to rely on anyone for that side of things. I have a need to use a dynamic mic on occasion, a sennheiser e945, due to its ability to not record the entire world along with a vocal. I'm likely to be recording some softer tracks than what I've done so far, hence I need to get a reasonable vocal tone or just stick with my noisier productions which are more forgiving. I recorded the first lyrics that came to mind while sat at the piano, I have a cold which does not help but my vocal is a bit nasal anyway. I used the above mic and a tube pre amp and would like some feedback on the way it sounds. Please. The execution is likely crap, but I can improve and do multiple takes on an actual song.

Many thanks

Tim

Hey.
I duno what you're worried about, man. That sounds great to me.

I don't especially like the stereo widening or chorus you've got going on; I'd rather here the vocal straight down the middle, but that's preference.

Go about your business, and be sure to post up some of your tracks.
I'd love to hear. :)

PS. Your piano sounds a lot like my clavinova.
Is it a yamaha digital, or am I just way off?

PPS. The mic you mentioned is a dynamic, but the description says condenser test.
Which mic did you use?

Thank you Steenamaroo, That's a real confidence boost. I have a lack confidence in respect of doing a more exposed vocal which is where I'd like to wander musically in the near future. The confidence aside, I still give it my all regardless of my own perception of it, just how I am. Sorry yes it's a dynamic mic, I had a moment when posting the track, I've corrected it. I have worked hard with my voice, having last sung at school many years hence or at the occasional funeral. The piano is a Technics SX-PR900, so you were quite close. I will put up my softer tracks once I have them running. I have various crash bang tracks posted around the place which chart my learning from complete recording novice, to an 11 month in novice. I'll have a go at center panned vocal, I find a little chorus and the stereo wide takes the edge off the hearing me experience, it takes a little getting used to for a previous non singer.

Thant's really useful, I thank you for your time.

all the best

Tim

Thank you Steenamaroo, That's a real confidence boost. I have a lack confidence in respect of doing a more exposed vocal which is where I'd like to wander musically in the near future. The confidence aside, I still give it my all regardless of my own perception of it, just how I am. Sorry yes it's a dynamic mic, I had a moment when posting the track, I've corrected it. I have worked hard with my voice, having last sung at school many years hence or at the occasional funeral. The piano is a Technics SX-PR900, so you were quite close. I will put up my softer tracks once I have them running. I have various crash bang tracks posted around the place which chart my learning from complete recording novice, to an 11 month in novice. I'll have a go at center panned vocal, I find a little chorus and the stereo wide takes the edge off the hearing me experience, it takes a little getting used to for a previous non singer.

Thant's really useful, I thank you for your time.

all the best

Tim

No probs Tim. Glad that was useful.
You wouldn't believe the effects I used to lather my voice with. It was definitely a covering mechanism for me too, but in time I got a bit more confident about upfront vocals.
Like I said though, the effects you used come down to preference. If you like it just go with it. :)

Back