opinions for some equipment please

JohnBreed

Hey folks... I'm looking for a couple opinions of like minded folks

I want to start recording some tracks with instrumentals for myself when traveling and playing out while I work on forming a band.
I would like to go with some equipment I am somewhat comfortable with because I am an Old Dog. Its been a while but I have worked some on Cubase and feel pretty good about getting familiar with something similar. Reaper looks promising to me and I just downloaded the trial to check out this week.
I would like to be able to record on the move as well so I am thinking I would like Reaper on My laptop and would also like a portable multitrack. I had a Tascam DP-01 at one time I got "okay" with.
The Mic I used recording just me and a guitar that i took a liking to was a sterling condensor... but I dont remember the model. I know it was a large diaphragm cardioid condensor...

What I want to know is what is good, similar low budget products that would work in the same manor today. If I could find a good mic with the same or better patterns as the mic mentioned and a good multitrack with USB to get tracks to my computer later down the line and have the files all be easily added to Reaper.

With all this I hope to be able to record multiple tracks here or home and abroad, use the same mic in recording and live performance (for now) and be able to share the files easily between the recorder and Reaper (or similar software). I hope to keep the mic in the $100 range for now and recorder in the 2-300 range.

thanks in advance

Portable Recorder: Zoom H4n $200 and can be used as a direct audio interface, too.

That gives you a bit more money for the mic. lots of choices: Audio Technical AT2035, AKG P220 ...

Def go with the H4n and look at the MXL 2001. I've been using a 2001 for over 10 years as my ONLY condenser mike. It does not excel at anything, but it does very well at everything. Acoustic (have recorded 12 string/6 string and acoustic bass)/vocal (lead, backup and choral)/percussion (shakers, tambourine, bells). Have never tried it on wind instruments, but I'd guess it's pretty decent there as well. Very good all-around mike. Combined with the two 57s I have, it has met all my needs. And they're half the price they were when I bought mine. :) You might also look into (I have no info) the 2003. Supposed to be a step up, but runs $180-200 depending on who you ask.

Back