Open sounding recordings.

chessrock said:
If I really wanted to get a professional sound, and I had a choice between working with high end mics, pres, etc. or the high end instruments ... I'll take the $10,000 drum kit and the boutique amps, etc. any day. Give me that mega bucks drum kit with the $1K crash cymbals, a pair of Oktavas, a Mackie board and a Delta 1010 ... and I'll cut us some really nice sounding drum tracks.

Give me the average drum kit along with some Schoeps mics and custom-racked API's, and I might not be as happy.

How true, and nowhere truer than with drums imho. At least given every thing else is of reasonable quality.

F.S.

PS: this song is not that bad it's pretty good in fact. Keep plugging and do a bunch of trial short recording of drums messing with drum placement and tuning. Drums recordings can't be fixed much during mixing.

I use a program called Classic Chorus on some of my tracks to help broaden the feeling of the song. You set it so that you get effects coming with it or not. I think it adds a lot of depth to my songs. It's a free plugin if you are workin through a computer. I hope that this helps. Also keep workin at it and learning. That helped me through the past 10 years. Nothing is greater than experience. Even cheap equipment can sound great.

Back