only 2 tracks simultaneous?

pschaafs

How come all these new digital recorders with up to 8 tracks only seem to record 2 at a time? My old cassette does 4! I'd be gassing for one of these if they did 4 ata time!

Yo Affs:

Well, it's hard to say why the engineers do things like that -- but for many folks doing average low-budget stuff at home, two tracks are sufficient.

But, for doing bigger things in a home studio, more tracks at once are a necessity.

So, it pays to audition the SIAB or program you may buy so it fits your needs.

For example, for many of my clients, I put the background music on one track, sometimes two. Then, the vocals go on one track most of the time but there are many options when one has more tracks to use as an options.

:p :p :p :D :D :D

There was on older model 16bit fostex recorder that had inputs on all 8 channels. They were expensive when they were new, but you should be able to find one used pretty cheap now. Those things rock. My band recorded a whole album on one back in '99.

The Zoom MRS1266 records up to 6 tracks simultaneously. The Zoom MRS1608, which has replaced the 1266, records up to 8 tracks at a time. The Tascam 2488 records up to 8 tracks at a time. So does the Yamaha AW16G. So does the Boss BR-1600.

The units mentioned in the last thread are way over my kind of budget. I was really just wondering why it is that you can get 4 simultaneous on cassette for cheap but the same thing digital is so much more? Those other units have a lot more features, but I don't need the features. What is the tech problem that limits the advent of cheap multi-simultaneous recorders?

$259 is way over your budget? Then you picked up the wrong hobby my friend. There is no tech problem. We are living in a great age for cheap recording equipment. A couple hundred bucks for a digital 8-track recorder is a steal and I doubt it's ever going to get much cheaper.

noiseportrait said:
There was on older model 16bit fostex recorder that had inputs on all 8 channels. They were expensive when they were new, but you should be able to find one used pretty cheap now. Those things rock. My band recorded a whole album on one back in '99.

A new Fostex VF160EX can be had for $899. It records 8 at a time minimum, or 16 at a time via ADAT, plus does great CD burns. Very solid, stable and easy to use.

Back